On this day

George Gershwin died on this day in 1937.

https://twitter.com/TipperaryGAA/status/1811697715618672683?t=Qa2OaIE35vcWwm5B2K2RZg&s=19

3 Likes

I was at that. It was electric. I loved that Tipp team. They were new and colourful and full of charisma. My aul lad was hardcore Kilkenny and I’m pretty sure he seriously considered fucking me out of the house for my treachery.

9 Likes

The drawn match was my first game (aged 5). The father wouldn’t let me to the replay.

I was at both those games, that was proper atmosphere, I’ll leave it to the Roy Curtis’s of the world to describe, Killarney was a great place for a match, we always stopped in Macroom for the chips on the way home, the chipper there was much nicer than Mitchelstown or Fermoy.
Having witnessed their heartbreak in 84 it was nice for Tipp to put it right, we stuck around for the speech, my old fella understood history

2 Likes

Jaysus. My auld lad would love that. He’s mad about the Carkies

10 years ago today terrorists acting on behalf of the Russian mafia state shot down a Malaysian Airlines passenger plane over Ukraine.

There’s still at least one conspiracist headbanger on this forum who denies this happened.

Bachelors Walk massacre 110 years ago on this day.

3 Likes

You were lucky to come of that one alive.

2 Likes

Jack Yeats’ painting of the next day.

Luke Kelly’s father, then aged 10, was shot in the lung that day while crossing O’Connell Bridge.

3 Likes

In 1975 the Miami Showband massacre took place.

1 Like

As horrible of an event as there was in the Troubles and that says something.

2 Likes

Anytime I listen to this song I well up.

Can’t you understand my point of view?

The King died

1 Like

I remember it well.

To quote Phil Lynott. ‘Elvis is dead. The King of Rock n Roll is dead.’

1 Like

https://www.rte.ie/archives/category/sports/2020/0720/1154413-dublin-star-jason-sherlock/

The bootless goal was ICONIC

2 Likes

Against us (Laois) in Navan. He was an absolute superstar for a few years.

1 Like

He roasted skinny for that one iirc