On this day

1. Its one of my first memories of actually starting to get interested in what happens outside the world of a 9 year old

Think Christy Moore was on the Late Late after singing about people being boiled in oil. (It was the Carnsore Point show).

I’m slightly younger Mike by 2 years. It was terrible though wasn’t it? Dozens of lives lost.
The other one I remember very well was the India Air plane going down off the west coast and the families arriving days later in Shannon. There was a big thing about how they had been welcomed by the Irish and looked after, which was of course in TFK parlance, twee.
Think it was the biggest loss of life ever from an air disaster. Bomb on the plane from Sikh separatists.

50 killed in Whiddy island. The Indian plane was just a stunner for the country. It was almost like “this doesn’t happen here”

Always thought she went down off the Cork coast?

Probably did Jimmy, most bad things happen in Cork.

3 Likes

Not one of our finer moments

20 years ago today the Tour de France stage started in Enniscorthy. What subsequently unravelled with Team Festina on their trip back to France changed cycling for this generation

1 Like

How’s tricks, buddy? Like the new avatar :ok_hand:

What bombs going off killing people is an un-irish thing? Fucke me it was a daily occurance

Ah no. You know what I mean

I kinda do ok

I was working in a marquee doing a champagne breakfast on the Rosbercon side of the bridge in New Ross for it.

There were time trials held in Dublin, I think u2’s the sweetest thing video was filmed the same day? At least that’s how it’s all mashed up in my brain. Myself and a few mates booked a bnb for three nights. I never laid my head in the place, such was my charm and good looks…and stamina

That was September 1998.

It was a mad summer. I prefer the version I remember.
When legend becomes fact print the legend

The Dungiven way.

I drove through Dungiven earlier. It must have done something to me

2 Likes

Let me shake the hand of the man…

Good to know

1 Like