On this day

:grinning:

Red Adare, a common enough term in South Limerick.

1803 rebellion began @anon61956325

1 Like

I missed the anniversary of something significant on Saturday. Can I pop it up now or should I wait until next July 28?

Fire ahead now, buddy. I’d be shocked if you were still posting here in 12 months time.

3 Likes

In 1994 Oasis released Live Forever, the third single from their debut album Definitely Maybe.

2 Likes

60 years ago, Herb Elliott broke the world mile record at Santry Stadium.

2 Likes

22 years ago today, Knebworth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBqQO_IhCLc

2 Likes

50 years ago today, 31 August 1968 at St Helen’s Rugby and Cricket Ground, Swansea, Sir Garfield St Aubrun Sobers, lining out for Nottinghamshire against Glamorgan hit six 6s in the same over off the bowling of Malcolm Nash, the first batsman to achieve this feat in a first class cricket match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZUVL3SqqZo

2 Likes

A busy weekend for sport 50 years ago. A day on from Sir Garfield creating history in Swansea, Wexford staged the biggest ever comeback in an All Ireland Hurling Final to win the 1968 renewal. The new look Tipperary full back line fulfilled the Malcolm Nash role in the 2nd half, repeatedly ushering Tony Doran through both to score and create the match winning goals.

Wexford also won their last All Ireland Senior Hurling title 22 years ago today on 1 September 1996.

What age are you? Are you pensionable?

50 years ago this week. The Democratic Convention in Chicago.

Disgraceful scenes.

William Buckley showcased the typical towering “intellectualism” of the raving US right when he called Gore Vidal “a queer” and then told him “I’ll sock you in the goddam face”.

The current US presidential incumbent can only dream of being so articulate.

Wexford also won our last minor All Ireland on this day in 1968.

I wonder are we doing something wrong in how we approach things in the county?

Are you saying we should only target All Irelands that have a final date on September 1st?

After he was called a Nazi?

No doubt the depth of your understanding of Buckley is a couple of short YouTube clips and a Netflix documentary.

My correct understanding of him is that he uttered all the same tired old stupid, slightly more eloquent nonsense that you and at least two other dopes on here have a quasi-religious belief in.

As well as being a bigot who had to resort to calling an opponent “a queer” and then told him “I’ll sock you in the goddam face”.

But as I said, that’s a level of relative eloquence the current clownshoe in the White House could only dream of.

Which is SAD!

During that debate, Buckley was defending LBJ and William Daley’s administrations whilst Vidal was describing the country as a police state.

This is the liberal LBJ who signed the Civil Rights Act and instituted the Great Society programmes.

As always with you, things aren’t all that simple. Vidal called him a Nazi without course and Buckley used another horrible remark. Neither were perfect and both make mistakes, distilling everything down to your own narrow view of things today from your spyglass in Galway is thick.

Anyway, not the thread for it.

1 Like