Paris Olympics 2024

Few around enniscorthy as well I think.

Nick O’Hare is BACK!

2 Likes

JK delighted to have him back and is trying his best to mind him

3 Likes

Some finish for Kos there.

Nick keeping the Carkies in check here.

Torquay/Galway’s Tom Fannon up now in the splash and dash semi-final.

He’s got a chance :crossed_fingers:

4th place, another Irish record of 21.74. It may or may not be enough for the final.

Some clipping in that 50m freestyle.

Oh no. Fannon doesn’t make it. Very unlucky.

1 Like

The way the world media cycle works now is:

i) The world’s most influential opinion forming and agenda setting website gets bought by a fascist crypto bro openly on the side of worlds chaos
ii) That person and hundreds of key Twitter disinformation and right-wing propaganda accounts protected and boosted by the owner furiously push a particular culture war story
iii) The story turns out to be bullshit
iv) People get sucked in anyway and believe the lies and proceed on that basis
v) Repeat from step ii) onwards

https://twitter.com/willocallaghan/status/1819030952158400515

Douglass beats Smith in the women’s 200 metres breaststroke final.

Disappointment for Ye Shiwen of China, who is the grand niece of former RTE swimming commentator Jim Shiwen.

2 Likes

A majority of the accounts retweeting or qouting this were woke lefties calling her a disgrace. Different algorithms i suspect.

I was enraged it must be said

For a pool to be classed as Olympic standard does it have to be the same depth for the full length? I’d imagine the floor of the pool can be risen and dropped accordingly

It’s much harder to make those fancy turns in the shallow end

Yes I get that. I was just wondering for public use after the games

Pools have to be a minimum of 2.5 metres deep for an Olympics I believe.

I’ve just done two minutes research on this and am classing myself as an expert on this topic.

The UL pool can be any depth you want (up to a point like) so yes I assume this is the same

I presume they’ll turn it back into a rugby pitch for Racing

4 Likes

This pool won’t be used publicly after the Games as the arena is the home ground of the Racing 92 rugby team.

I have swum in one pool which held an Olympic Games though I was able to have a walking race across it.