Paris Olympics 2024

In fairness, I’d reckon Athlone would be the fairest or somewhere outside the m50 on the west side.
Trouble is then that you’re basically ensuring that folk can only use it by driving. Dublin at least gives a million folk the option of cycling there or getting the bus.

SAILING MEDAL RACE ALERT

Donovan is a something else, a pure pig of a mindset with the physique and technique to back it up. A savage role model for young fellas.

20 Likes

Ireland break the start line so have to back and give everyone a headstart

Have we thrown this away already

They’ve made a cunt of this

“A little bit of a disaster” says sailing’s Michael Duignan equivalent.

Lovely understatement.

The gap we’re trying to make up is like when Pedro Delgado turned up three or four minutes late for the prologue of the 1989 Tour De France and lost the race there and then.

Goose looks to be cooked

They are desperately trying to cut down on the number of competitors at the Olympics for logistical reasons. Lightweight rowing has always been viewed with slight suspicion in some quarters. As an olympic rower once observed “they may as well have basketball for under six footers”.
There are serious discussions around not only getting rid of lightweight, but also

1. Shortening the race distance as the attention span required of the neutral spectator is too long
  2. Getting rid of pairs altogether
    3 Making some events like fours for mixed crews only.

:person_shrugging:
Seems to be an sport which is a proper faster higher stronger sport to me, takes place at a remote venue so has no major footprint, allows lots of folk to watch in person, and there’s not that many events in anyway.
But the organisers want to make room for horse dancing and synchronised swimming and past times.

6 Likes

It seems like these sailors have done everything they’ve possibly could to avoid getting a medal in this final race. Three chances they’ve gotten.

This is a bonkers sport for scoring :rofl:

Sailing is a very stupid sport.

3 Likes

Need the tans to do us a favour here.

Are the Irish going backwards?

And went progressively worse each time.

Any kind of average performance would have got them a medal here. They appear to have made a total cunt of it.

Are the yanks slowing?

Nope.

Regards Tim Harnedy - a friend of the forum. I met him many years ago, in a past life. We were working together. A lovely friendly fella, a very helpful colleague. I was asking him if Skibereen was football or hurling, he said all football. I asked him if he did any rowing. He said he’d do a bit and he did a bit of coaching too. Sounded like no big deal. Got a surprise when I switched on the Olympics and he was on my tv screen, described as “Tim Harnedy - Olympian 2004”. A modest lad.

I know nothing about Paul O’Donovan but I wouldn’t trust him with my GF.

12 Likes

I’d agree. But you’d say the same about Cork.