Paris Olympics 2024

Not a sport.

I have no idea of what the hell was going on the start of that sailing race. Apparently you have to decide whether youā€™ve made a false start or not, you donā€™t get told. It makes no sense to me why they had to take a penalty.

Even when the race proper got going they made a cunt of it. The Poles were behind them at the end of the first leg and then passed them way out and basically caught up with the other boats.

A capitulation.

The girl on RTE seems to think it was the Uruguayans who caused us to false start.

Little old Paddyland is getting screwed by the officials at this games

Thatā€™s disappointing as everyone knows that all Uruguayans are Irish and that all Irish are Uruguayan

1 Like

Heā€™s a scion of the McBarrons also - cousin of Liam.

1 Like

It canā€™t be easy for that little Irish boat
carrying all those surnames. It must put us at a severe disadvantage.

4 Likes

Horse took a big dump there approaching the first fence. Marginal gains.

3 Likes

Donā€™t forget the air of self importance as well, thatā€™s almost incalculable

1 Like

Youā€™d think the Chef dā€™Equipe would make sure the horseā€™s bowels are clear before jumping. Pop them a horsey version of Dulcolax or whatever the night before.

When is NFL starting @Kyle?

This was Sean Dreaā€™s single sculls final at Montreal 1976.

In my mind I had it that he was pipped on the line for bronze but in reality he faded out 60-70% into the race and was comfortably beaten into fourth.

The German Kolbe however had a huge lead and completely blew up late on to such an extent he barely struggled over the line after losing the lead with 25 metres to go.

1 Like

Do we have an army man on the show jumping team?

Iā€™d feel more confident with a Capt Gerry Mullins or Comdt John Ledingham type involved

9 Likes

Donā€™t think so. Literal Officer class absent from the proceedings.

1 Like

5 medals now. Good chance of 7 surely.
Is the record 5 or 6 from London 2012?

Clean round for Coyler!!!

1 Like

Think it was Capt Ledingham and Commdt Mullins.

1 Like

Itā€™s very early in the Games for the showjumping to be taking place. I always associate it with the final weekend, often the final Sunday morning especially in editions taking place in Europe.

Normally the horsey activities in the first week are confined to the cross country riding/three day eventing (is this the same event?) featuring stalwarts like Captain Mark Todd of New Zealand.

20240802_224836

4 Likes

Perhaps some of the horsey people could answer this. Is there or has there been any crossover between horse racing and showjumping?

Most jockeys especially in jump racing retire by the age of 40. But showjumpers can go on into their 60s. Why do we not see Richard Dunwoody or Tony McCoy or Ruby Walsh etc. rocking up at the Dublin Horse Show or the Olympics after their retirement as jockeys?