Paris Olympics 2024

Did you know Julien Alfred is a daughter of rubby kicking coach guru Dave Alred?

2 Likes

Irish interest tomorrow

Sunday 4 August

(In order of start time)

GOLF

1017 Men’s singles round 4: Shane Lowry

1128 Men’s singles round 4: Rory McIlroy

ATHLETICS

1045-1141 Women’s hammer qualifying Group B: Nicola Tuthill

2010-2024 Men’s 1500m semi-finals: Cathal Doyle

SAILING

1100-1156 Men’s dinghy race 7: Finn Lynch

1208-1304 Men’s dinghy race 8: Finn Lynch

1330-1426 Women’s dinghy race 7:Eve McMahon

1440-1536 Women’s dinghy race 8: Eve McMahon

CYCLING

1300 Women’s road race: Megan Armitage

CANOE SLALOM

1430-1510 Men’s kayak cross heat 2: Liam Jegou

1430-1510 Men’s kayak cross heat 7: Noel Hendrick

1545-1625 Women’s kayak cross heat 8: Madison Corcoran

SWIMMING

1736-1756 Men’s 1500m freestyle final: Daniel Wiffen

Don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed an Olympics as I’m enjoying this one. 10,000m last night, cycling today, the 4 x 400m all unbelievable.

13 Likes

Bottle the feeling. We might never have it again

3 Likes

It isn’t fair, nonetheless, adeleke does have the strength, she showed it in the Euros. She’s pretty clearly been advised by her coaching team in America not to, and it would have been foolhardy to go against it imo.
Shame though.

1 Like

IMG_7423

3 Likes

Exactly, these are halcyon days.

1 Like

The greatest show on earth

4 Likes

There’s the women’s 4x400m too. Nobody with a genuine individual medal chance was going to run two (2) relay heats too. That’s potentially seven (7) races in a week. Had they made the final, she might have been added to the lineup like Bol was.

1 Like

Declan Lynch: Watching these triumphant Irish Olympians has been cath…

Today at 17:53

Daniel Wiffen won gold in the men's 800m freestyle final. Photo: AP

Daniel Wiffen won gold in the men’s 800m freestyle final. Photo: AP

One of the great Irish photographs of our time has Eamonn Coghlan signing autographs in Arnotts, just back from the 1976 Montreal Olympics where he had finished fourth in the 1,500 metres final — also there in the crowd is one Paul Hewson, who a few weeks later will be joining a band and eventually calling himself Bono.

Anyone who is roughly of Bono’s age will know that Coghlan finishing fourth was an appalling blow to our already-fragile national self-confidence, not because Coghlan was bad, but because he was good — so good, the final was watched on television in Ireland even by people who didn’t have a TV, but knew someone who did. It would have been a massive watercooler moment if we’d had watercoolers.

Perhaps the gods put Bono in that picture to tell us that he alone of the Irish still had the confidence to be thinking of world domination at that difficult time — but there are some, I suspect, who never really got over it.

It is hard for anyone who went through such Olympics trauma to assess the galvanising influence of Daniel Wiffen, Mona McSharry, Kellie Harrington or the celebrated scullers who don’t seem to regard it as fundamentally abnormal to be winning medals — but the Olympic paradox remains the same, the way we are mesmerised during one of the last great communal festivals of terrestrial TV by things that otherwise have little part in our lives.

Who are these people? Where are they all the time?

I mean, Wiffen is a magnificent man. Yet swimming is so far back in the queue for our sporting attention, to make himself properly known to us he had to become a superstar. He has a charisma that seems at once futuristic and ancient — he resembles some guy who actually invented the internet but who got out early to pursue a more mystical path, while with the glasses he could also have been at Bletchley Park during World War II, spending his days cracking the German codes. And then relaxing in the evenings by cracking more codes.

Meanwhile his twin brother Nathan just casually guided us towards the meaning of life by suggesting that he helps Daniel not to think before a race — because if you don’t think, you don’t get nervous. So the solution was there all the time for Paddy: just stop thinking.

Indeed one thing the Olympics teaches us is how little we know about a lot of things, but how all that can change in the time it takes Evanne Ní Chuilinn or Joanne Cantwell and their guests to explain them to us — and then we know everything like how they’re swimming in “a slow pool”. It’s not as deep as the faster pools in Rio and Beijing, but then you all know that.

You hear just the occasional note of unfamiliarity in the way that some RTÉ interviewers express surprise that a rower or a badminton player will be competing so early in the morning — hinting again that breakfast television was never going to happen out there.

Yet they have Timmy ‘Downtown’ McCarthy, who emerges every four years to do the basketball commentaries so brilliantly you’re always left wondering, “Who is this guy? Where is he all the time?” As such, he is the quintessential TV Olympian, bringing his strange gift out of the obscurity in which it languishes for these brief but precious moments of incandescence. “Boom-shaka-laka”, he cries when a shot is most pleasing to him. You don’t need to know any more about McCarthy than “Boom-shaka-laka”.

Swimming analyst Andrew Bree is another man high on the improbability of it all, eyes wide with elation at the truths that swimming is revealing to him. Pool commentator John Kenny, who in real life presents a Classic Rock radio show, has been buzzing too — but perhaps only Led Zeppelin’s Black Dog can take him to the places that Bree goes when Mona McSharry is going faster and faster in the slow pool.

For this viewer, open to be intoxicated by all sports, some are a bit less “Boom-shaka-laka” than others. I have always struggled somewhat with the canoe slalom events and the sailing. The gymnastics lost something for me after RTÉ stopped having Ronan Collins in the commentary box — was it Barcelona? But we’re not going to beat ourselves up over that.

We have too many simpler entertainments such as that super-cool South Korean sharp-shooting lady Kim Yeji or the unfortunate Filipino who executed what is believed to be The Worst Dive of All Time. We have funny tweets such as the one from journalist Joe O’Shea who noted that Charlie Haughey’s grand-niece was swimming successfully for Hong Kong, “but then he was the master of stroke politics”.

The Rugby Sevens? It can seem a bit too easy to score, like a football match with no goalkeepers. But we’re all on board every four years now with badminton’s Nhat Nguyen, a true sportsman, noble in defeat, performing well enough to keep him going in his lonely battle until the next time.

And while some will complain that the 12 hours daily TV coverage leans more towards quantity than quality, personally I like the quantity too. Though you can start noticing odd things after a while like the somewhat excessive make-up on RTÉ’s presenters and panellists. It looks like they’re all off to a big wedding. And that’s just the men.

But it’s a free bar too for the viewers if you leave out the byzantine corruption of the boxing and our fighters being cheated. That was happening in Eamonn Coghlan’s time too, but back then he was virtually all we had.

Now Ireland expects another week of incessant TV Olympics with medals already won… waiting for Rhasidat Adeleke.

Sometimes the truth is beyond good and bad

The benefits of immigration are keenly felt in our performances at these Games, yet the best way of looking at these things may have emerged last week during a humble vox pop in Wexford town which appeared on Twitter — some local man was asked whether he thinks immigration is a good thing or a bad thing and he said: “It’s not a bad thing or a good thing, it’s just a thing… it’s just a thing that happens.”

Let us take a moment to try to absorb the monumental nature of this insight: “not a bad thing…or a good thing… just a thing… just a thing that happens.”

Every moment of every day it seems we are being presented with something which demands that we declare it instantly good or bad — as a result of which it can be determined whether we ourselves are good or bad. Naturally, this is making everyone lose their minds.

Now on a Wexford street there’s this stocky-looking bearded chap who in one perfect sentence has said something with the potential to subvert an entire civilisation. “Not a bad thing…or a good thing…just a thing.”

Can you even start to get your head around that one? Can you discern within it the path to enlightenment?

I’d send it to the Wiffen twins, but they’re probably on to it too.

​Good time to bury bad news about doping

Such was my focus on the Games, for the first time in my life I wasn’t paying much attention to the Galway Races — a touch of disenchantment with the racing game in general perhaps, the way the same names keep winning the big races. Nearly as bad as the football, really.

So I wasn’t “across” the developing story that Petrol Head, the favourite for the Galway Hurdle, had been withdrawn after our old friend “a prohibited substance” had been found in a sample at Bellewstown last month.

And in this case the favourite had been backed down from 16/1 to 5/1 to win at Galway — a massive, massive punt there.

Even catching up with it late, it seemed like a bad thing.

The thing that concerns me is that this may be the first time anyone missed a doping scandal due to watching the Olympics.

2 Likes

Sarah Keane who is Chief Exec of Swim Ireland and President of Olympic Federation of Ireland is a breath of fresh air and should take plaudits. She’s the farthest from certain sports administrators we’ve had before. I’d imagine her influence has been important in how our athletes are looked after. I knew her many moons ago and she’s a very intelligent and formidable woman.

15 Likes

True enough. It’s unfair to compare the euros with the Olympics also.
Also no guarantee they’d have made the final anyway.

https://x.com/Glodyswotcher/status/1819673693897031898?s=19

Boing

The Trumpian days of Pat Hickey and John Delaney seem like decades ago

8 Likes

She went for the FAI CEO role when Johnny Hill got it & Daniel McDonnell in today’s Indo has her on the shortlist for the job this time around.

1 Like

I’d say not for another 4 years at least anyway…

Comes from good West Clare stock

1 Like

Is Greg Allen our best caller.

1 Like

Its a long way from the ticket scandal in Rio.

We still could and possibly will pick up a few more medals.

A great week down another to go

1 Like

Like the Cherry Tree roundabout in 1990.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1819831102963597384

2 Likes