Paris Olympics 2024

A generation of Javelin throwers lost on the back of a Terry McHugh boom because the money went to funding horse whipping.

3 Likes

I am not an expert in how to win equestrian medals.

What I know is that Ireland is exporting horses that compete at the Olympics.

You say they are very expensive. I therefore suggest that we reroute our funding away from race tracks to keeping some of those horses here.

Adeleke fourth at worlds too.

1 Like

FFS, stop spamming the thread with this shit.
Iā€™m waiting on a metro to bring me to the Stade de France. Canā€™t wait
Anyone have a recommendation of somewhere close by the stadium to watch the boxing afterwards

23 Likes

We export horses in racing as well which keeps a lot of people in jobs.

You can simply admit your point was total nonsense.

A government shouldnā€™t be getting into bidding wars with billionaires to win a couple of gold medals.

Clonmel got its first proper championship running track ever last year. Youā€™d always lament that it wasnt there in my day etc but at least its there now for future generations. To put into context almost every American college will have a proper running track while a town with 20,000 people only got one last year.

15 Likes

So the jobs would stay so. Iā€™m not suggesting cutting the funding, just redirecting it.

Yes private schools tend to do the best because of the unlimited funding.

Amazingly you tried the argue the very opposite when this was pointed out to why so many private schooled lads made up the Irish rugby team.

The first 50m in the country was less than 30 years ago as well. We can see the value of that now.

A lot of the Olympic sports are perfect for outside of the field sport season.

1 Like

Its great to have horsey horse on the run. Given how shite they are, and how drugged they seem to be, we should catch them handily.

Horse Racing tracks all over the country empty, and we cant get decent sports facilities for our children. Tis a fucked up lil country.

8 Likes

Worse than the gun lobby in the States

4 Likes

Thereā€™s a good mix of schools actually.

Thereā€™s quite a few similarities when you come to think of it.

1 Like

Horse racing in Ireland is descended from landlordism. Thatā€™s fact.
It was an enemy of Ireland then and itā€™s an enemy of Ireland now

7 Likes

Paddy already has a gold and silver in throwing events. Pallasgreenā€™s Paddy Ryan won a Gold in hammer throwing and a silver in the 56 lb weight throw in Antwerp 1920. His statue stands in Pallas to this day.

A big lump of a man from east Limerick (I identify with him for some reason) has won more medals than the horse-whipping industry

7 Likes

Its funny to see the Peaky Blinders wannabe doffing the cap all the same.

1 Like

Yeah its immoral really. Ireland has always catered for the big wigs and yielded fuck all in return. Golf courses everywhere and bent over backwards for horse racing and cant build a running track. Theres only 2 in Cork for a county with over half a million and for much of the year there was none. The one in CIT just reopened I believe after being relaid. Cork racecourse in Mallow was developed for multi million euro cost and its hardly ever used. Owners dont even want to run their horses there. Farcical what goes on.

6 Likes

Letā€™s get back to the Olympics lads

3 Likes

Agreed. Always good to shine a light on the absolute devastation laid at the door of the Irish children due to Horse Racing though.

The clock is ticking for it. Ticking loudly.

2 Likes