Paris Olympics 2024

Peter has been saddled with the graveyard afternoon shift on Olympics coverage for as long as I can remember, or early morning if there was an issue with timezones. He really should be given more respect by RTE.

2 Likes

He did the morning shift for Tokyo starting at 9:30. That was the prime shift. Jacqui Hurley and David Gillick stuck in a broom cupboard with a few TV screens in Tokyo in our night time was the graveyard shift. It was QVC-esque.

Why is athletics not more popular outside of Olympics? It’s a great sport really and has great scope for storylines and rivalries etc. Would benefit from a F1 style Netflix series

3 Likes

Because it isn’t on free to air TV much.

Back in the day it was. You’d have Zurich, Brussels, Oslo, Crystal Palace etc. and maybe a couple of others like Rome or Monaco featured quite heavily each summer. As well as the championships.

When was the last time RTE covered the World Championships? 1995?

1 Like

There is a Netflix series called sprint. They all come across as cunts on it which doesn’t help.

Michael Johnson is launching a track competition next year to try and drum up more interest and more opportunities for the best in the world to face off.

3 Likes

Another great night of Track and Field finals ahead.

Men’s 110 hurdles
Women’s 400 hurdles
Men’s 200
Men’s Javelin
Women’s Long Jump
Women’s Heptathlon

Darragh Maloney said “all eyes tonight on the 200 metres and Noah Lyles”. Women’s 400 metres hurdles is a much more box office race.

I dunno
The 100/200 double is MASSIVE

But the 400 hurdles will be box office
I’m in team Bol

2 Likes

Laura Muir has the doughtiness of a young Cathal Malone

You just have to admire Muir, I’d follow her as if she’s Irish, she should be Irish

2 Likes

I don’t think she’ll medal this time.

A British medal winner speaking better Irish than 97% of Ireland here now on radio1 :clap::clap:

She’ll have her work cut out. Kipyegon for gold and the two Ethiopians for silver and bronze would be my prediction. Don’t think Ciara Mageean would have been in the medal shake up either.

Something very admirable about her. A pure dour Scot who leaves it all out there

3 Likes

I’ve felt that when the real chips were down Muir would have beaten Ciara here anyway, what do you think?

Who would have been the most popular and most unpopular Team GB athletes in Ireland over the years?

I was always a Mick Hill man in the javelin.

I liked Kriss Akabusi, John Regis and the lovely Denise Lewis. I wasn’t such a fan of Kelly Holmes or Christime Ohurogu.

I like to see the Scotch do well. The Scotch had a fine crop of runners in the late 80s and early 90s. Liz McColgan, Yvonne Murray, Tom McKean etc., and they have again now. I was disappointed for Jemma Reekie in the 800.

Sebastian Coe was a cunt.

The unspoken sweetness of John Treacy winning silver in the marathon in '84 was that he beat Charlie Spedding. I have nothing against Charlie Spedding, I know nothing about Charlie Spedding, but Charlie Spedding represented 800 years of oppression in that moment.

1 Like

Steve Backley, Colin Jackson and Jessica Ennis were always likeable and inoffensive athletes who you could somewhat root for

1 Like

It’s hard to know. Muir has just run a personal best of 3.53.79. That’s about two seconds faster than Mageean has run. I don’t think there’s much between them though. It’s just such a shame that Ciara Mageean didn’t get her chance.

2 Likes

Crying shame Mageean didnt get to take her chance. Alas we’ll die wondering.

3 Likes

I wasn’t mad about Colin Jackson nor Linford Christie. Or Roger Black. Or Mo Farah. I think I would have hated Steve Ovett but he seemed slightly less annoying than Coe.

I was a big fan of the relay lads that won the worlds in 1991 bar Roger Black.

Jonathan Edwards was a bit of a dose especially in his God bothering days.

I’d like to see Katarina Johnson-Thompson do well here as I did Jess Ennis.

Muir is the spiritual heiress to Liz McColgan.

1 Like