Paris Olympics 2024

Today is the final track day? What’s left for the final day tomorrow?

Women’s marathon tomorrow morning.

Various team sport finals. Basketball, handball, volleyball, water polo. Possibly some boxing.

There’s surely some modern pentathlon on today/tomorrow.

I made the point during the week that the organisers have tinkered with schedules and removed some of the climactic events that build the entire Games to a crescendo.

The marathon should be Sunday evening. The individual showjumping should be the final Sunday morning. The 1500 metres should be Saturday night.

2 Likes

Ya I was thinking as much when I saw both 100m finals on earlier in the week aren’t they traditionally one of the last events? Swapping the weeks of swimming and track and field for the next games is just blasphemy.

1 Like

Someone will surely fuck up a baton change as well maybe

Not as likely in the 4 x 400 though.

1 Like

Are you serious? That’s a balls

The 100 metres finals are always early in the athletics programme, the finals on the middle Saturday or Sunday of the Games.

The men’s 1500 was on Tuesday this time. It was traditionally on the final Friday or Saturday. The women’s 1500 is on tonight alright.

YARN | Schwing! Schwing! | Wayne's World 2 (1993) Music | Video gifs by quotes | 2b7d3b76 | 紗

Putting your strongest runner 2nd means the team should be in contention for the final 2 legs. Mentally, you’ll up your game when in contention rather than chasing someone down from 20 yards behind. Sharlene mentioned that she found the mixed race last Friday very tough as she had to run on her own. She thrives being amongst a group and is a perfect last leg runner.

Rhasidat will likely hand over to Healy in 2nd or 3rd and Phil will go off like the clappers to try and be as high up as 200m to dictate the handover lane and then cling on for dear life.

11 Likes

Adeleke might bottle it on the run in

3 Likes

Think you name a team of 6 for relay and so have a max 2 subs?

Says the lad who bottled ireland for the 15th floor in a soviet block of flats and some strawberries…

4 Likes

Commiserations @Tank. So near and yet so far.

They can’t put her last, she’s not up to anchor level

He now owns the block

3 Likes

:cry:

Screenshot (847)

https://twitter.com/RTEsport/status/1822204036470165596

True. I could have stayed at home and be doing pretend boxing like you in my midlife crisis.

2 Likes

That’s what makes the olympics so incredible. It’s like playing one All Ireland every four years, and the whole world, 99.9% of them who don’t give a fuck about it in the intervening years, are suddenly glued to it. Doesn’t matter what you’ve done for the previous 1100 odd days, you have to peak on that exact moment every four years. And if you trip, or cramp, or catch a cold, or break up with the missus, or suffer a bereavement, and you balls up that moment, then 4 years are gone.

4 Likes

It’s deadly. We’d a big elastic band tying you to the bag the other morning and just have to keep battering it to keep it from hitting you. Great craic altogether. And the applegreen coffee afterwards with the lads is a high point of my week.

1 Like

Exemplified by McClenaghan falling off the pommel horse in Tokyo & then having a full Olympic cycle to wait for the chance to redeem himself. Then it’s all down to that one 45-50 second routine in the final.

2 Likes