Paris Olympics 2024

Sinead Diver dropped out after 1km with an injury.

Fionnuala McCormack streaking through the field like Ayrton Senna at the 1988 Japanese Grand Prix. She’s gone from 55th to 30th.

Is she the first 5 time Olympian for Ireland in a running discipline?

No idea.

Dave Matthews said he thought Helen Obiri of Kenya would win this 5 or 6 km back.

Salpeter of Israel looks strong again and is one of a group of three that has pulled slightly away at 24km. She looked very strong in Sapporo before suddenly stopping with a few km left.

Melody Julien has played herself out.

Dave Matthews has been brushing up on his research about Tanzania and the official name of the country and its army.

Grete Waitz or Rosa Mota in the shake up?

I was hoping Ingrid Kristiansen could yet round off her great career with an Olympic gold medal but she’s nowhere to be seen.

I don’t think downtown LA would provide the same backdrop as Paris. They’re probably safer confining it to the stadium.

1 Like

Sifan Hassan falling back on the big hill here like Eric Vanderaarden falling back on the Col d’Aubisque.

There aren’t many, if any cities that can rival the backdrop Paris provides.

Remember this lady?
Absolutely ICONIC

Paris would be top for me level with Rome but the imperial cities of London, Vienna and St Petersburg would also provide stunning backdrops. Of the New World cities, Washington would be hard bet. I can’t comment on African, Asian and South American cities as I haven’t seen any.

There is no real central focal point to downtown LA. It’s really spread out.

It’s a disappointing city to visit. Not a patch on SF.

3 Likes

That’s putting it very mildly

1 Like

London doesn’t have the wow factor that Paris does.

Barcelona and Sydney had impressive backdrops. The marathon in 2016 did Rio no favours at all.

What LA does have is the ocean, a hilly backdrop and almost constant sunshine. Paris has some minor hills but it’s in somewhat of a shallow bowl far from the coast and the weather is very erratic. It’s quite a wet city in my experience.

I would agree. Mind you, I was in San Francisco for a few days this time two years ago and I felt it had really gone downhill an awful lot since I was last there, 20 years previously.

1 Like

I’d add Budapest to that list. It has a fantastic river front and would provide an excellent backdrop to marathons, road races etc. nice overlooking hills on the Buda side

3 Likes

Ditto. It has turned into a ghetto now.
We all know why.

Tech?

A lot of them are moving out now which should benefit the city. Twitter announced it was leaving SF last week which is a very positive development.

1 Like