Paris Olympics 2024

A lot of that is to do with them forcing you to buy 3 sets of tickets at the beginning. We’ve tickets for a Rugby game this Saturday and a Soccer game next week that we were never going to be attending. They were just the cheapest available to put together with the Athletics we wanted to go to

Single event buying would have been much more effective. But they have their money now so won’t care about attendance

1 Like

Olympics from what I can doesn’t resonate with younger people nowadays. Maybe we just lacked a Sonia type medal or something that caught people’s attention.

That put me right off going from the outset. Pure hungriness.

The greatest show on Earth

In sporting history, certain moments stand out as extraordinary. One such indelible moment unfolded at the 1968 Summer Olympics in Mexico City, where a 22-year-old prodigy from New York, Bob Beamon, made sport’s greatest leap.

Inside the Olympic stadium on the afternoon of 18 October 1968, a track steward summoned Robert Beamon of the USA to take his first attempt in the men’s long jump final. Just days prior, Beamon had overstepped his first two jumps in the qualifying rounds. As Beamon stood at his mark, his singular thought was ‘I will not be denied,’ he tells Christie’s.

With 19 impressive strides down the runway, he hit the board perfectly, ascended into the air like a bird, and firmly planted his feet in the sand six seconds later.

Beamon had leaped where no one had landed before: an incredible 8.90 meters, or 29 feet, 2 ½ inches, smashing the world and Olympic records, the latter of which still stands.

Beamon had landed so far beyond the distance measurable by the optical rail, that officials had to take out a measuring tape to manually measure the jump. ‘I was truly relaxed and felt like I could float over water,’ Beamon recalls of the moment.

Fucked up by the gambling industry the same as other sports events

1 Like

Bookies should be barred from offering betting on it

What has the gambling industry got to do with the Olympics?

I think the number of doping controversies is the biggest issue around the Olympics.

Looks like there was no one at that Olympics either

The gambling industry has strangled an awful lot of the joy out of all sports, olympics included, people used to love sports and competition, now more and more it’s about the odds etc, who gives a fuck

Sports gambling is an absolute scourge in so many ways

2 Likes

It’s all about celebrity culture these days. The young people don’t know the names of the competitors. It’s only very rarely an Olympic star becomes a true crossover figure these days. Usain Bolt and Simone Biles did, but few others do.

Adeleke has the potential to be that Sonia type figure in this country though. In truth she’s already there.

1 Like

You think it’s fucked up the Olympics? Id say it’s the one sports competition least impacted by gambling.

1 Like

Afternoon session so. Almost certainly

https://twitter.com/thisisinsider/status/1815456161912496390?s=46

If adeleke gets on the podium she’s most likely cheating unfortunately. It’s absolutely rotten with drugs. Same thing with cycling.

In many ways it’s a good thing. The general public still has a conscious. Nobody wants to watch cheating and people are losing interest in the Olympics now over it.

Among other things, I’m chiefly talking about the ‘young people’ in the post I quoted by @BruidheanChaorthainn

Those young people care more about gambling than competition.
The Olympics are great, it hasn’t been spoiled for me

Says yer man who loves watching horse racing

1 Like

Is the Italian fella white?

I wouldn’t agree with that. There has been explosion of interest in young females attending gaa games post Covid.

I’m not sure that is translating to other sports and I don’t very much it has anything to do with gambling either.

I don’t think people give a fuck about doping really. Even I’ve lost interest. I just assume everybody’s at it.

Where the Olympics has lost out is that my generation grew up on a diet of Grandstand, Sports Stadium and Sportsnight. Our sporting interests were rounded. But we were the last generation to grow up watching such a variety of sports. Growing up watching those programmes meant an automatic interest in the Olympics. It meant you’d be seriously looking forward to it all.

Choice kills roundedness. There’s so much stuff around now that people tend to pick one thing they like - in whatever field, be it sport or wider culture, and stick to it. It was the opposite when I was growing up. We didn’t have much choice so we sampled everything.

What probably happens now is that young people don’t have any expectation of an upcoming Olympics. Then they twig a few days or a week into it that something is happening, why is all this sport on telly, and they might get drawn in. Then when its over they forget about it all again for another four years.

5 Likes

The joy of the Olympics is in many ways watching 4 hours of diving and then being a diving expert and being critical of entrances and splashes or watching an hour of gymnastics before you have a go at a lad from South Korea for messing up his pommel horse dismount.

The badminton in last Olympics was great too.

It’s perfect for tfk really.

12 Likes