Passport renewal

My passport is up in June 2023 Iā€™m planning on heading to the states in the autumn for a holiday. Would it be a good idea to apply for my new passport now or would there be no issues ?

Also when applying for a new passport would I be passportless for long?

AĆ¼ contraire, John sounds exactly the type of new poster we need to attract here. Someone not afraid to call-out spoofers and idlers and on top of that he could immediately be considered an expert on military matters which is sorely lacking on this site. Granted @Fagan_ODowd is up to speed on naval matters and provides wisdom occasionally but this man John was in for the long haul.
Granted he may be a bitƩƩn of a hot-head but @caoimhaoin has never been adequately replaced.

@Bod95 will tip over to John in the evening with the application forms.

4 Likes

I got my new one in twelve days this month. Should be shorter for local post.

Well he has 12 months, so I reckon heā€™ll be fine!

I was only reading about it the other day on the passport site. I wouldnā€™t depend on my memory so Iā€™d advise read it yourself. But basically youā€™ll need a pretty good reason to get it early as basically they donā€™t want two John Doe passports valid at the same time.

And again if you let it out of date for X months, then youā€™ll need to supply addition material and itā€™ll take longer.

I think six months is recommended but like I said, check!

The Passport Service may ask you to submit your passport. For example, if the passport book has more than 12 months validity remaining, it must always be submitted.

Your previous passport book will be cancelled when your new book arrives. Our system will then make it invalid for travel.

You are considered a first-time applicant if your most recent passport was issued more than 15 years ago. In this scenario, please return to the start of the process and complete your application as a first-time applicant.

You are also considered a first-time applicant if your most recent passport was not a biometric passport. Biometric passport book numbers have 2 letters followed by 7 numbers and the first letter must be ā€˜Pā€™ or ā€˜Lā€™ (for example, ā€˜PTā€™ or ā€˜LBā€™). If your most recent passport was not a biometric passport, please return to the start of the process and complete your application as a first-time applicant.

Iā€™m calling into him on the way home from work

1 Like

Ordered Thursday night. Received this morning. Unreal, unbelievable even.

https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2022/0527/1301680-politics-passport-analysis/

Could somebody please ladybird the passport application process for a first time childā€™s passport? I started reading the citizenā€™s advice page but I couldnā€™t maintain my interest. I took them for passport photos in the chemist the other day prior to reading anything about it. I thought they would have some way of inputting/checking the picture quality to confirm whether it would meet the criteria but the lass in the shop said it was a case of doing her best, emailing the photos to me and keeping our fingers crossed. So I have mugshots of the two of them but what next?

Go onto the passport website and start reading. Iā€™ve never done a child online. Youā€™ll need a scan of their birth cert as a minimum.

It checks your application as you go as best it can to try avoid any further delays.

Takes absolute yonks. Hope youā€™re not planning a trip till 2ā€™23

2 Likes

im sure the chinese and russians are on the way to mullingar right now to find out what highly sensitive information john has been privy to

You will need original birth certs for the first passport. Complete the form, get the missus/life partner to sign it with you. get the document witnessed by a guard (can your auld fella do it?), photos signed on the back with the application reference written on them and the job is oxo.

2 Likes

You can upload pics from your phone.

Start the process online, and itā€™ll give you a registration number. I think you upload the photos at this point. Then youā€™ve got 2-3 weeks to get forms completed, and signed / verified by a Garda (both parents need to be present in the station with the baby for this) and sent into the passport office. Theyā€™ll only start processing the application when they receive the paperwork.

1 Like

Thanks bhoys. So initial online tip tapping to generate forms that need to be printed & signed by the guards with the lads present, and then those forms need to be posted off. Have read all those stories of childrenā€™s passport applications taking months to be processed so relieved that they changed the name of Passport Express recently.

6 Likes

We sent the forms in around early Feb and I think the passport arrived in mid-May. 3-4 months seems normal enough for it. Unless you contact your local TD about it of course

1 Like

Iā€™m sure that lots of the delays with kids passports are due to people not providing the right documentation and the passport office not giving feedback in a timely manner

1 Like

Would you not walk down to Clontarf Garda station and pick up a hard copy form and then introduce yourself to a Garda while you are there

Yeah, Iā€™ll make a vow to get this right first time.

1 Like