Pelanty Points

Strange one. Don’t see how I wouldn’t have been caught. Only thing was there was a car ahead of me doing the same speed. Maybe they got caught and I didn’t.

[quote=“The Runt, post: 757365, member: 181”]Do you reckon if it went beyond that you’re safe?

I was certain I was done on a Friday 3 weeks ago. Wasn’t paying attention and was on top of the van doing 75/80 in a 60 before I hit the breaks.[/quote]
Was there a visible flash? Trust me, if these things flash you, you don’t miss it.

Lovely

Did you have your gearbag clearly visible? That is the most likely reason you were let off.

Did I mention this worked again for me in the previous 12 months? Not speeding on this occasion, just a bit of weaving but nailed it once more :clap:

Didn’t the time after on the M50 mind you, cant always be summer :frowning:

No there was no visible flash. It was a nice sunny evening.

Even on a fine day, the flash from those things would nearly blind you from my experience.

I was done by the van around Croom a couple of years ago, got the letter within a couple of weeks. And the flash off the camera was noticeable.

If the speed gun lads stop you, will they breathalyse you as well? They do over here.

[quote=“balbec, post: 757393, member: 193”]I was done by the van around Croom a couple of years ago, got the letter within a couple of weeks. And the flash off the camera was noticeable.

If the speed gun lads stop you, will they breathalyse you as well? They do over here.[/quote]
The last time I got points for speeding was a few years ago now but it was a Sunday morning going down the N6. It was around midday and I had been up on a free drink work night out the night before until around 6 in the morning having started around 3 that afternoon. I was doing 130 figuring that was ok as the speed limit was 120(it wasn’t, it was 100 but that’s how, erm, hungover I was) when I was waved down by a guard. There was 2 others in the car with me who were equally hungover and the car must have smelt like a brewery. I was visibly shook but fair play to the Garda he just took my details (and I got the points in the post a couple of weeks later) but then he told me to slow down and pull in and get a good breakfast. Decent, salt of the earth type Garda he was.

I wonder would they have those vans set to only catch the fellas doing the proper bollix? As in 85+ in a 60?

I know your speedometer is always over clocked, but I was definitely a minimum 15kmph over the limit by the clock when I spotted the van, and if I’d been paying attention I would have seen it a few seconds earlier.

I’m sure Eddie Halvey wishes he bumped into a decent, salt of the earth type garda.

[quote=“The Runt, post: 757399, member: 181”]I wonder would they have those vans set to only catch the fellas doing the proper bollix? As in 85+ in a 60?

I know your speedometer is always over clocked, but I was definitely a minimum 15kmph over the limit by the clock when I spotted the van, and if I’d been paying attention I would have seen it a few seconds earlier.[/quote]

No Runt. I got done for doing 59kmh in a 50km zone recently.

He didn’t need to-he had excellent character references.

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 757401, member: 706”]No Runt. I got done for doing 59kmh in a 50km zone recently.[/quote

Was that by a Gatso Van or a Garda?

As a rule of thumb, Gardai generally set the detectors about 10-15mph above the limit and only hit you if you’re really tearing the arse out of it.

The Gatso crew are only interested in revenue and linger on the side of the road like a knacker casing a mark.[/quote]

The Gatso vans are the unmarked Garda vans.

The GoSafe vans are the marked private company ones.

What Elvis is saying there would make sense, because I reckoned by the clock I was 15kmph over, but that reads about 5km “fast”

[quote=“The Runt, post: 757404, member: 181”]The Gatso vans are the unmarked Garda vans.

The GoSafe vans are the marked private company ones.

What Elvis is saying there would make sense, because I reckoned by the clock I was 15kmph over, but that reads about 5km “fast”[/quote]

Apologies Runt. Meant to say GoSafe i.e. The Common Thieves instead of Gatso Van.

The GoSafe vans set the camera/detector facing out from either the front or back of the van, but not both. Usually it’s out the back, so if you met the van head-on you may well be ok.

[quote=“Elvis Brandenberg Kremmen, post: 757405, member: 1624”]Apologies Runt. Meant to say GoSafe i.e. The Common Thieves instead of Gatso Van.

The GoSafe vans set the camera/detector facing out from either the front or back of the van, but not both. Usually it’s out the back, so if you met the van head-on you may well be ok.[/quote]

It was a Gatso / Garda van I met, they only clock from the one direction.

Congratulations The Runt, looks like you’re home and hosed

If you were tail gating the car in front you’ll be fine. :wink:

another cop is going to go before the PAC on thursday and make shite of callinan and shatter by saying it was widespread abuse of the system. hopefully hes a good witness as shatter and callinan need to be fired

http://www.tv3.ie/news_sub_page.php?video_id=75035&locID=1.2.883