Podders

Bang on

When I was a nipper, there were two international sporting events that were owned by the Irish.

They were the Paris-Nice cycle race and the Wanamaker Mile at the Millrose Games at Madison Square Garden in New York.

Just look at that roll of honour. Ron Delany won it four times in a row between 1956 and 1959 too. Coghlan’s time in 1981 stood as the record until 2013 by which time the Millrose Games had moved away from Madison Square Garden, so it remains a track record.

I’m sure I heard that podcast with Marcus O’Sullivan you refer to. He runs the show at Villanova now?

One of my earliest sporting memories was watching the inaugural (I think) World Indoor Athletics Championships from the Hoosier Dome in Indianapolis (later the venue for the double main event Wrestlemania 8) in March 1987 which was broadcast live by RTE. Marcus O’Sullivan won the 1500 metres and Frank O’Mara won the 5,000 (I think it was 5,000, or was it 3,000?) Anyway it was a pretty big deal at the time. O’Sullivan won again in 1989 and 1993 and O’Mara won again in 1991.

3 Likes

Yes you are correct. It was a good listen. Donie Walsh was a big influence on him. Seems like a decent guy.

See,if we put a roof on this place we’d be unstoppable

1 Like

I assume that’s a parody. Please tell me it’s not.

I don’t know actually, I hope its real tbh

The beauty of it is that it looks plausible it could be real.

1 Like

Parody unfortunately, excellent though

The anti-vaxxers will shriek “FAKE NEWS”. They have no sense of humour.

1 Like

BOX OFFICE!

They also let their entire IT Security Department go last week.

:eek:

I would hazard the podcast market is completely oversaturated and not as many people are willing to pay for podcasts as hoped. They probably saw a boom during lockdown and hired accordingly, but have been unable to sustain it.

4 Likes

Incidentally, woolies podcast with Ben O Connor was a very enjoyable listen. Actually all his older lads pods have been decent. I’d say he barely scratched the surface with Joe Rabbitte, there seemed a whole lot more there he could have gotten into. Michael Meehans one was outstanding, a great listen.

Any mention of the hatchet job he did on his own club, aided by Paul Kimmage?

2 Likes

I got the feeling all was not very rosy in that garden. Or any garden for Joe. Like I said, you felt there was a whole lot more going on there.

I got just read their blog post to staff, it’s not a firing, it’s a separation:

So within the next 10 minutes, teammates who will be leaving the company will receive a calendar invitation to a video call with a leader in your function and a teammate from the People team. In that meeting, you’ll review the details of your separation and have an opportunity to ask any questions you may have.

1 Like

A conscious uncoupling if you will. You have to laugh at the nomenclature used these days to describe working in an organisation. “Our community”, “our family”. Pass the sick bucket.

5 Likes