Podders

Has anyone signed up to the OTB lads yet?

I see there is no content on their Spotify channel now.

His book, “32 words for a field” is very good.

1 Like

I wonder is there a place to see what numbers OTB are on? Patreon maybe?

I’ve yet to come across anyone willing to pay…

1 Like

I have the app from before it changed to the pay version. Anyway I logged in last night and says I have 3 free listens a month. Not sure if that’s just for the first month as don’t remember them flagging it when they made the announcement. Either way I wont subscribing as v little content that’s not free elsewhere

1 Like

I’ve a feeling OTB are going to bomb going down this paid subscription route. There’s probably 15 staff if not more to be paid a weekly wage and then you’ve expenses of putting people up to go to matches or for travel. Woolie has none of that and is practically a one man show. They will need I guess multiples upon multiples of what he’s pulling in.

1 Like

The second captain’s might have the last laugh yet

Just thinking of figures there’s surely a million a year in wages and then you’ve expenses, maybe rent for studio etc. Lets round it up to 1.5 million a year for operating costs.

At a tenner a month I make it they need 150,000 people to sign up to this. Even if my figures are a bit wrong there’s definitely 90,000 required and even that’s a very tall order.

2 Likes

Ger Gilroy is actually convinced that people enjoy listening to him speak.

3 Likes

“And that’s when Ger realised he fucked up”

1 Like

Joe Molloy was pushing this out tonight on the show. 3 free a month on the app, 12 months for the price of 10, something else possibly I can’t remember. I’d say it’s a safe assumption there’s not much uptake early doors and I’d be surprised if this works for them. You’re basically paying to listen back to some live radio that you missed and some other pods that a lot of people never listened to for a tenner a month when most people have 20 to 40 quid going to other subs. Very little appetite I’d say.

2 Likes

I don’t think the tenner a month thing will go well but ye are forgetting that they still have a daily show on national radio? They are all getting paid wages the same as every presenter and production team on the station.
The sub is basically to listen back to the radio show and then gain some bit if income for the likes of the gaa shows which weren’t on radio but they were producing more or less for free. I don’t think it’s a huge risk for them.
It’s basically can they make more money off subs than they were getting in sponsorship. Even if they don’t they could just change back to the previous model easily.

3 Likes

That’s the way it will go I’d say, a roll back, a mea culpa and back to the old way. The radio show is still popular so they’ll be grand enough I’d say.

Are most of them not under contract to Newstalk anyway and be paid from that kitty rather than from whatever is generated from the podcast?

Random one. I saw this interview referenced in the examiner today and said I’d look it up as I’ve always found McHale a very interesting character.

Could have been a 4 hour interview really. Nothing life changing but a grand handy listen. He said he left the Mayo setup this year because he fundamentally disagreed with the way they were playing. Unfortunately the interviewer didn’t ask how he would have them play.

[quote=“Julio_Geordio, post:3520, topic:5647”] He said he left the Mayo setup this year because he fundamentally disagreed with the way they were playing.
[/quote]

Really? Is he not brother in law or something to McStay? I got the impression they were a tight enough duo.

1 Like

He speaks very highly of McStay throughout, doesn’t seem to have been personal, just wasn’t working he wasn’t critical or anything

Liam was hated by a lot of senior Mayo players over his previous two stints in the backroom. Bringing him in was a backfire by McStay I think.

No way McHale and McStay fall out at this stage you’d feel.

The ads are becoming more of an annoyance on paid Spotify. What are the alternatives out there or do I have to go back to the high seas

Oliver Anthony on Joe Rogan

1 Like