Portugal v ROI- WCQ 2022

this has a more Germany 3 Ireland 0 feel about it actually in Nov 2013 and Noel King getting defensive ā€¦there is also a sense of the end of Stan days here i feel

yeah
its an easy enough pick really based on what we have - pity Ogbene and knight are out- Brown is a loss also

Stan actually did alright against the Slovaks and Wales. Took 4 points off both and drew with the Czech Republic and Germany in Dublin. Pity our results against Cyprus were so dire and we were in such a tough group.

how did it play put again- memory here now @Cheasty
germany 1 ireland 0- night before 2006 AISHC final
Cyprus 5 ireland 2
ireland 1 Czech 1
ireland 5 San Marino 0
San Marino 1 ireland 2 ( stevie in dead time) a bizarre Feburary international , Stanā€™s first game was a 3-0 over Sweden tho in feb 2006- did we play Wales in 1992 in the snow in a friendly also and i think maybe Italy in dalymount park?
Ireland 1 Wales 0
ireland - Slovakia - I cannot remember
Slovakia 2 ireland 2 ( Grannygate)-
Czech 1 ireland 0
Ireland 0 Germany 0
Ireland 1 Cyprus 1
Wales 2 Ireland 2 ( a don givens game?)

I saw Noel King ordering and then eating a 99 last Friday afternoon but forgot to lodge it on the celeb spotting thread (cc @Fagan_ODowd).

6 Likes

Think Ireland-Slovakia was 1-0 to us via a Doyle header. I recall the ball being slightly behind him but he craned his neck back and diverted a wonderful header into the corner. Or maybe not?

Doyle wasnā€™t one for the purists but he was the quintessential ā€˜great bit of stuffā€™ beloved of the gaa/soccer fraternity.

1 Like

we must have have passed each other in the Shelbourne last Wednesday?
Wasnt it a phenomenal afternoon?- Id highly reccommed paying 60 euro for a horse and cart ride around the city , walk around St. Stephenā€™s Green and then go to the Shelbourne for lunch- well it was 4pm- the weather made it as well tho- there is a lovely donut shop there as well accross form the enterane to st stephens green shopping center

like dublin - jesus it was glorious there in the sun- we had a similar day at the tyrone game , mind you we were with 7 or 8 under 7s and has rushed in from a GoGames joust in Stamullan earlier but i really enjoyed the bit heading over to the ground with my young lad in the sunā€¦ i feel like a combination of Roy Curtis as he would descibe the scene and keep reacalling Tom Humpheries utterly brilliant piece describing a trip to the MSHC in a car and the cramped press box in the park when i think about this gameā€¦ there was a great buzz about the place, sun football ā€¦ the kids in absolute awe of Clifford and then like an anti hero Cathal Macshane killing the fun with some darts- what a game, what a day

3 Likes

Ronnie fucking Whelan

2 Likes

Jimmy magee famously did the Italy game in Italia 90 and possibly the Dutch game in 94? @Cheasty might remember a few other big ones George didnā€™t do but in fairness heā€™s been the voice of some seriously great Irish sporting moments. Not that many people seem to hate him either which in the modern world says a lot about him as a commentator.

Where is Beglin gone? Whelan is a curse.

Oireland to lose

I remember the Portuguese stuffed us 4 or 5 nil on a wet night in Lisbon in 1995/96 ā€¦ think rui Costa scored a cracker form long range ā€¦tonight could be similar

They beat us 5-1 last time out in '14

1 Like

I have a feeling we will have a narrow defeat (on scoreboard) tonight. Might get a half chance that will give the Irish soccer media a chance to see ā€œprogressā€ & ā€œgreen shootsā€

The two games in Dublin filll me with dread

One hammering, one plucky defeat and a bore draw v Azerbaijan I would think is what Spock is capable of achieving this week

Iā€™m calling it.

Ireland will win tonight. 2-0

1 Like

Two nil? Where the fuck will we get two goals from :joy: I mean one nil Iā€™d have admired your optimism, two nil is just delusional

You need to lie down mate.

Iā€™ll be with the Kiltha Ɠg u-14 hurlers this evening for a 7pm throw-in. Weā€™ve a final v Blarney. Home advantage will help, a goalkeeper thatā€™s as good as the Tipp camogie #1 will hinder us.

I hope to see the second half of the soccer international.