Post Ewan McKenna

Lads on TFK: I wish we had journalists who didn’t toe the party line

Also lads on TFK: OMG Ewan said something I don’t like, he needs to go

4 Likes

Do people really still do that Twitter thing?

Twitter has more influence than any political party, as it sways them all. It’s an absolute phenomenon, anthropologists will marvel at it.

1 Like

You spend enough of time on this forum to realise that people at times have conflicting opinions

You

Seriously? Nobody I know has any masse or activity in Twitter? :smile:

Same, but politics is all about getting re elected, and if you fall foul of public opinion then your raison d’être is possibly compromised, and there’s no better real time barometer than something trending, even if the empty vessels who you find daily in twitter are a tiny fraction of the population. But take covid, no politician wants a single death to be pinned to their backing of re open the country, that would be thrown at them and could fuck them in an election. Safer bet is pass decisions on to others.

It’s not neccessarily a bar on working but it’s entirely natural for people to forget about you or start using other writers when you are out of the country so long. It happens in all freelance jobs. You miss one gig and you may not get it back. I’ve no idea why you think he should be given gigs. People in his industry don’t like him cos he’s had a go at most of them. He’s fucked himself up.
Also, his finger is no longer anywhere near the pulse of Irish life if he’s been out of the country for years and living in a different timezone. It’s like a kid doing homework from wikipedia and nothing else. You’ve lived in Canada? Do you think youd have been able to be an expert on Irish life or even on a match you watched over the internet?
I’ve no beef with ewan getting gigs, but I don’t see that there’s a massive conspiracy to stop him working either.
Yes of course I’ve said stupid things I wish I hadn’t. A million of them. Going round in my head for years after. Bizarrely, I made a policy a few years ago of trying to right them. So the next time I saw the person involved I brought it up and apologised or explained myself. Did wonders for getting them out of my head.

For a certain small cohort of society status on twitter is the be all and end all. And Facebooks comment section is the sole preserve of total headbangers
TFK is a bastion of sanity by comparison to both.

5 Likes

The vinny murphy of journalists

A much better class of mentaller on tfk

More of a Shane Dowling I was thinking.

Who?

A Limerick hurler. He know does a bit of writing in the world famous publication that is the Limerick leader.

1 Like

Is that still going?

Racism is ok once its in the middle of a bit of sniping?

I think this could represent a small opportunity for Ewan. It is so multi faceted. He can take a broader look into the omerta around the wests attitude towards China since the pandemic began. It really is the elephant in the room in all of this. After all we have followed their lead in enforcing an authoritarian regime over here albeit without the bells and whistles that they applied. No journalist really has had the appetite to touch that.

Then again I’d like to see him do a takedown of RTE. They have been shameful with Aine Wilson this morning being the cherry on top. This is much closer to home and would have broader appeal. They get to go to work everyday, meet people they work with and vilify those they don’t, enjoy the trappings of a comfortable work environment, exorbitant salaries with benefits. I’m sure a freedom of information request on RTE would kick start it. See how funding in last year compares to other years.

4 Likes

He should centre an article purely on RTE. Why are they not working from home, RTE staff party.

1 Like

Redundancies in the middle of a pandemic even though they get subvention through the tax payer, furloughed staff. They have over a 100 people earning more than a €100K a year. What is it exactly all these people do. The bigger question is how can there be a free media when there is such a big conflict of interest between govt and RTE.

7 Likes

In fairness the RTE staff were subject to austerity with unvouched sick days slashed and long term sick pay cut from 75% of salary to 66%. Not sure if this applied to the contractors like Joe Duffy and Ray D’Arcy