Premier League 2021-2022 (the Footix thread)

1 sub back in the 1970ā€™s/80ā€™s Iā€™d say and 3 subs thereafter. Wasnā€™t there a keeper for Man City in the 50ā€™s who broke his neck but they werenā€™t allowed to sub him off so he played on.

this is where the footix are exposed as frauds

games the day after Christmas are a huge tradition for proper english football fans and its part of their culture. The footix here up in arms about ā€œplayer welfareā€ in the billion pound squads of 40 players :slight_smile:
@mickee321

3 Likes

Boxing Day pal.

Luftwaffe paratrooper Bert Trautman, continued to make saves apparently afterwards as well, fascinating character

1 Like

Footix will be surprised to hear that up until the late 1950ā€™s, all league clubs in England played on both Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Boxing Day was the reverse of the Christmas Day fixture.

A winter break? What else would a footballer earning a 6 figure weekly salary be doing this time of the year.

1 Like

Potter in fairness to him is an excellent coach who can get a team playing to a method. I like Hughton but they spent the bones of Ā£150 million on trash under him, granted they werenā€™t all his signings. Potter will manage a top 4 team Iā€™d be nearly sure. Possibly Man United.

Did I read somewhere that his Brighton team havenā€™t won a league game since mid-September? They certainly play a nicer brand of football under Potter than Hughton but I think his achievements in English football are overhyped. Didnā€™t he finish mid-table in the championship with newly relegated Swansea and walk straight into the Brighton job?

His achievements in Sweden sound very impressive to be fair. Tbh Iā€™d love to see him get the Man United job because I donā€™t think heā€™d be a success there.

1 Like

I think theyā€™re a bit better than their position, Maupay misses some howlers.

I like Hughton, but whatever way you dress it up, the spent big and struggled badly to stay up. They will definitely stay up under Potter. Brighton chairman is extremely shrewd, Hughton was the right man then, Potter is for now.

1 Like

They spent 25million on the Iranian Jahanbaksch did for him, whoever sanctioned that fucked them. I watch a lot of prem and the lad had nothing to offer really.

1 Like

I donā€™t think those were Hughton signings though tbh

Thatā€™s true they do tend to have a very good xg and underperform compared to it. The 3-2 defeat last season against Man Utd was a prime example where they played really well but shot themselves in the foot. I suppose heā€™s as good an up and coming manager as there is amongst English born managers. But the likes of a Steven Gerrard with less tactical acumen will probably outperform him.

1 Like

Gerrard was a great player and could be an even better manager.

Thereā€™s huge depth to him, real character, doesnā€™t deal on shitty soundbites or philosophy.

He has that Villa team very compact, little space between the 3 lines, fullbacks pushing on like lpool and their good players are starting to play.

Iā€™d say he is the best up and coming coach in England by a mile. As for the dressing room, who would fuck with him? If Man United were serious, theyā€™d go for him

1 Like

I felt he sometimes played on emotion as a player and doubted whether heā€™d be a top top manager but I canā€™t fault him so far. Villa were very tricky customers at Anfield a couple of weeks back and better defensively than I expected. Hopefully he continues his upward trajectory as we need a ready made replacement when Jurgen eventually moves on. I couldnā€™t see him managing Man Utd.

Maybe one question Iā€™d have would be his recruitment. It seemed a bit haphazard at Rangers at times. He seemed to bring in a huge volume of players. Be interesting to see how he approaches the market with a relatively well financed team like Villa.

2 Likes

Michael Beale is supposedly the brains behind Gerrardā€™s tactical system. Iā€™m sceptical of super Stevie G due to his playing career where he bought into the dumb Keys and Gray logic that he should be playing Roy of the Rovers football in central midfield and resented the likes of Benitez trying to impose tactical discipline. That said, he seems to be on good terms with Rafa these days and rings him for advice.

2 Likes

Wazza will be the best manager out of Englandā€™s golden generation

Villa look to be horrible to play against under Gerrard.

Could be, great player doing fantastic work at Derby. Benzema and Rooney understood Ronaldo and played with him.

Look at Benzema now, best player in Spain, huge football intelligence.

Rooney said Fergie got the Barca CL finals totally wrong, United couldā€™ve Intered them, United had the firepower.

1 Like

Was hoping Leicester might do Liverpool a favour todayšŸ˜¬

Thereā€™s no one gonna stop city bar a few injuries.

2 Likes

Stonewaller there in fairness