Pubs opening

Would the square footage inside that none of them are using offset it a bit?

The attitude of the higher ranking police to bars and pubs in Galway city has always been very intolerant - only city in country where pubs close that early.

Totally agree.

With their insistence on rigidly sticking to the closing times they encourage binge drinking and then they fuck everyone out on top of each other at the one time. Greatly leads to the mayhem that inevitably ensues in Eyre Square an hour later.

It’s like chalk and cheese when you compare it to a night out in Dublin.

2 Likes

They close early on Christmas Eve there don’t they?

Yep. Wouldn’t get a pint in town after 6 on Christmas Eve generally. In fairness, it’s no harm, it’s well time to be home and let the publicans home to their families as well ta fuck.

I always go in for a pint or two Christmas Eve afternoon. Always enjoyable, one day of the year where it’s just locals.

@Julio_Geordio have you seen the area that Ma Hogans have annexed for themselves? They’ve basically taken the entire footpath and the parklet that was built outside now acting as the walk way

They really lucked out. Prime real estate now.

The auld footpath lottery is a cruel mistress. Were you up by mother macs? Going by the road closures they should have a nice area to themselves as well

Ya, Mother Macs has been given a decent enough area. The tables are fairly packed in.

Bedford Row is very continental looking now, shame it doesn’t have a pub. Glen Tavern has the use of the lane by the side of the pub.

Luck of the draw for pubs and restaurants.

It has now been changed to a 105 minute slot with a minimum spend of €100.

Not too bad if you’ve a decent crowd.

105 minutes is only a cod.

You’d only be getting going at that stage.

New groups every 2 hours will make them more money :moneybag:

1 Like

Woodlands is the type of place you’d drive to/make a special effort to go to. Hardly worth the bother from the punter’s perspective.

My mother met her sister (who lives in Cork) at The Woodlands last week. My mother hadn’t seen her sister in 18 months or something like that, which is the longest they’ve ever gone without seeing each other. My mother was highly complimentary of the set-up there. They were very well looked after. Mary Fitz is a serious business woman.

3 Likes

In fairness they alway add something every few years. Treehouse is a great job. The spa is supposed to be top notch too

That’s definitely a newish thing around the country that seemed to happen organically. Going in for one after midnight mass was huge. All closed by 6pm now

@Lazarus must be coining it

Great to be back at it

1 Like

Went for a few pints tonight with herself. Met a lot of lads who have really let themselves go.

2 Likes

How were you looking yourself?