Pubs opening

Wasn’t there a nightclub in the Brandon Hotel?
Think Benners and the Greyhound had one as well in the early noughties.
The Barge (part of Hennessys) The Blasket and a new one next door to Sean Ógs are the only ones now.
Baywatch out in Banna was a great spot for the faction fighting as well.

Bulgaden Castle. Walking back into kilmallock by the train track if you didn’t have a drive. No minibuses in those days.

1 Like

Followed by the Thatch in Emly or Madonnas in Charleville on a Saturday night

The Hiland

Cc @gilgamboa

1 Like

Even though the hiland wasn’t that far from NCW there was never the same level of violence there. Don’t get me wrong, there was some epic boxing matches but they were avoidable if you wanted.

Key difference in hiland to a lot of the others mentioned was it was primarily a live music venue. The stunning, aslan, golden horde, something happens, boyzone, engine alley, Gina Dale haze and the champions, the Pale, sultans of ping, Frank and Walters, therapy all bands I would have seen there over the years, some like the stunning maybe a dozen times.

It burnt down new years eve about 20 years ago and it was rebuilt bigger and better… But it was never the same. It was too big and had no natural stage area for live music and it was just a disco really then… I went up there one night about 10 years ago at a loose end and there was a DJ playing called Lisa lashes… The carry on was like something you’d see in a bad club in playa de ingles.

Connolly of leap was another great live music spot in the 90s.still going but scaled back

1 Like

Nightclub in the Brandon was Spirals as @kerry1891 mentioned earlier. I think it was gone by 07, which was the completely arbitrary time I picked. McDaids = Benners, I think it has reopened again lately. Pretty sure someone told me that. It was closed for ages in between McDaids and Benners and then again afterwards before it reopened lately.
For me the Barge, Blasket and Sean Ogs are all more late bars really than nightclubs, but I suppose that’s a question of what you consider a nightclub :joy:
The Abbey used to be hopping at one stage as well. It’s a long long time since I was out in Tralee

Banna was epic.

@gilgamboa every now and then a crew of our lads would trek to Newmarket for a nightclub. Was that the Highland? They used to rave about it, but then all they had was NCW as a barstick

1 Like

It’s mad what happened the icon in Limerick. It had a monopoly of the city for a long time and once you were 19/20 it was the only place to go.

It was absolutely horrific either. It was ok. There was usually a decent band in Smyths.

1 Like

Creation has not opened back up since Covid. It is one town that needs a nightclub such is the amount of stags, hens, greenway business and general fact it’s a big town with no other nightclub in the whole of West Waterford.

The word is the owner is doing up the current location of Creation. His late bar Minnies which is just a pub open until 1.30 does be full at 9.30pm most nights.

It’s a disaster at the moment down there.

1 Like

Delighted to hear the icon is struggling.

Their bouncers are the greatest shower of cunts known to man.

3 Likes

They were idiots alright I remember getting barred myself and I just left it at that.

I think it’s finished for a few years now tbh.

The fella who owns the Icon now owns 101 and is making an absolute fucking fortune, no fear of the cunt

Montgomery isn’t it ?

That 101 place is a real cunt hole.

2 Likes

No matter the band that played symths all they ever played was proud Mary on repeat. Without fail it was the only song I ever heard in there during that time

1 Like

Never knew that. Never had any trouble there but it’s a different scene.

Enjoyed Amber the few times I was there.

Limerick really is a terrible spot for a night.

Even if your not in one of the 4x Flannerys, its still shit.

No authenticity to the place at all.

Nightlife in Limerick is actually cracking at the minute, much improved

It’s Ireland now. Getting dolled up to give mad money on a fruit cocktail and plastering it all over Instagram.

God be with the days of t-shirt and jeans, heap of pints, kebab, messy ride and home

10 Likes

There’s some grand drinking pubs in limerick but after that it wouldn’t be top of my list for a good night out.

Didn’t you say you’d never been out in Limerick?

1 Like