Pubs opening

I used to make my way to Renards from Lillies about 3am. Absolute glory days.
Joey Elliott and Paul Harrington in the Library.
We were a proper country then.

2 Likes

Removing barriers to entry will ultimately be good for the trade.

I see the neoliberals are out in force today.

We’ll have a cafe culture like Europe.

Dublin was at its peak as a City circa 1997-2005. It was the envy of the entire world, nobody gave a fuck Great times

2 Likes

I worked across the street from it and we watched Euro 2000 in the bar downstairs and if not too messy got to head upstairs. The bruce lee was off the charts.

4 Likes

The Irish have an awful problem with the drink.

Double vodkas and redbull were all we knew.

Near the end we started to add champagne and shambles was born.

2 Likes

The laws aren’t fit for purpose. They date from 1902 when the Victorians were trying to shut pubs to protect drunken paddy from himself. They didn’t envisage a situation where pubs would shut down because it was cheaper to drink at home.

2 Likes

Only better

Pod/Kitchen nightclubs MTV Music awards Galway winning all Irelands, the Mick McArthy era what a time to be alive

1 Like

Cork will have the best cafe culture.

3 Likes

Known fondly as the Bertie years…. :pint: :pint:

Goes without saying like.

@artfoley will be along shortly to tell us again that he used to take yokes.

4 Likes

Nah. Cathal Jackson was a Guard so have a think about enforcement. I think they may have had some licence for the upstairs connected to the hotel but that’s not what allowed to them to do what they did.

I heard two things over the years related to the trade. One was that owners of Flannerys wanted to reopen the Crawdaddy site as a proper competitor to Coppers as a real late night venue. The fact that Coppers operated as they did made it impossible to determine whether you could have a viable business to actually go head to head with them.

The other was when Coppers were up for sale. Buyers would love the business as it was but again, you can’t guarantee how the Jackson’s operated it would be permitted with Ireland’s licence laws.

3 Likes

They made all his teeth and hair fall out

A glass of shandy and a slash and motoring again. Cc @Tassotti

5 Likes

You weren’t tempted to get fitted for a new suit?

1 Like

I’ve a bit of a belly on me at the minute. Feb perhaps.

1 Like