Question for the techies

Had a similar issue and had to get battery replaced as it was bulging slightly and causing over heating of device. New battery is only about 20 euro but you’ll need a fella to fit it.

Where did you get the new battery mate? Had you to order from the wholesalers in China and then get a fella in one of those dodgy phone repair shops to fit it? Is the clock in your one plus showing as much data usage as mine out of interest which looks peculiarly out of kilter?

phone geek fella did the lot for me. He ordered a battery and had it the next day.

Mine didnt show any abnormal data usage to be honest… your could be a different issue.

You sure your phone aint configured to upload video’s/pics to google cloud or something?

No I doubt it I don’t have a Google cloud account. Although in saying that I did download two videos last week but I deleted them since, through gallery I deleted which is where I found them do unless now these are still available in another area.

Last question, who is the phone geek fella? Has he a shop or website open?

http://www.celticrepairs.ie/ (Galway guy called Colm fixed mine, professional service in fairness)

1 Like

Is anyone using Office 365 for email and file directories at work?

We’re considering changing and I was advised by our current IT support suppliers that Office 365 is brutal for outages.

Anyone have any experience of it?

I have a couple of emails on 365 and they seem to work perfectly fine. Have had no issues with them at all.

Is the file directory similar to the One drive set up? I had one drive and it was utter shit. Files wouldnt save properly or when you would go to reopen they would open an older version and the syncing for it was horrible. Dropbox works far better for that for me anyway. No issues at all with syncing and easy to share files.

2 Likes

It’s class. If you have a large enterprise you’ll need a number of Identity management servers (FIM) to sit between your AD and the Cloud to sync up the accounts. Most of the colleges and universities have gone this way for student mail. There are issues with the sync client for the one drive but nothing major.

I’m moving a 20 person office to 365 in a few weeks. I’ve set it up for a couple of smaller offices in the past and never had an issue with it. I do believe the One Drive storage space you get with it isn’t really meant to be used as a shared central repository. It’s more geared towards storage space for individuals.

1 Like

Nice one.

Do you think we’d still need to have a Shared Directory internally in that case? We have a lot of guys based in the UK who remote access in and I thought that OneDrive or SharePoint might be a way around it.

They certainly don’t work are seamlessly as Dropbox or Box.com. I’d imagine if you are trying to manage a large number of users with a deep file structure it would get messy very quickly. I did a bit of research on it lately and it generally wasn’t recommended.

1 Like

I’m working for a company which has a local server and exchange server here in the North West. Most of the business for the company is in the rental market in the UK.

Up to now they’ve been using Remote Access to get onto the server to write emails and attach documents etc. I’ve been looking at new ways to do this as it’s extremely slow, even after I was able to improve us to fibre speeds up here.

I’ve been speaking to an IT company that suggest that we move as much as we can to Office 365. However there’s a reluctance here as they think that, in the UK office, they’ll still have to use a separate remote desktop screen to get access to the directory of company files. Are there ways around this? I was of the opinion that we should just move the directories to OneDrive or SharePoint but there’s also a reluctance to go down that route.

Has anyone any experience/thoughts on this?

Why remote to servers to write an email? Surely you could have an SSL VPN configured between remote devices (laptops) and the large sites. Authentication can be integrated with AD as well.

1 Like

The use it on the remote access so they can be on the server, which has account details and they like, and attach files from there to the emails.

Have you checked if the application server (running the report) can send a scheduled mail itself without manual intervention? Hard to do this without Visio…

Edit: onedrive for business is a bit of a cunt, the sync client between a user’s cloud and local copy is flaky as fuck. Microsoft themselves preciously reccomended using a third party sync client.

I have no idea what this means.

1 Like

To summarise your problem:

Someone has to remote to a server in Donegal, attach a few files to an outlook client on the server and send it on to someone else - that’s the problem right?

Sounds like a bit of a fuck of a setup.

What volume of data is on the file server?

I think we sent croppy into buffer overflow with our questions. He needs a hard reset.

2 Likes

1 Like