Racism Continued

That’s more of a philosophical question. If the black cop is part of a police force that has been conditioned to look on black people as dangerous and is trigger happy then the black cop can certainly have racial bias. Does that make him racist? I don’t know.

4 Likes

What’s the rate, a cop is 18.5 times more likely to be shot by a black man as a cop is to shoot an unarmed black man.

Could be argued that that would alter perception.

I think the shootings is the wrong thing to focus on. Simply because there’s no policy of shooting blacks it’s just violent interactions gone wrong. But of course they are the highest profile incidents.

The focus should be on general stops and searches and the nature of interactions cops and the black community. Bias and discrimination could definitely be unearthed there and thats what really has an effect on perceptions.

Maybe I don’t understand the issues at all but that seems a particularly daft line of thinking from a father. How many interactions are there each year between American police and black teenage girls, and how many of them lead to the girl coming to any harm? Never mind where the teenage girl is an innocent party.
A not inconsiderable number of commentators have stated that the man shot in Atlanta was justified in resisting arrest because of what racist police do to black men, had he allowed them put handcuffs on he would have been unable to protect himself. That line of thinking sounds similar to the fathers advice for his daughter. If resisting arrest, even when banged to rights, is now considered a logical approach then I don’t expect figures for police killing black men to improve anytime soon.

1 Like

That’s a solid answer. He’ll surely score you highly for that.

It’s a statistically dangerous interaction. It’s decent advice to be careful.

Same if you had a kid going to America from here you’d warn them that police there are different to here so no fucking about if stopped by one.

In the interests of transparency - I’ve given maroonandwhite a (very) short break from the board - an hour or so.

I’ve asked him to stop complaining about how he is being treated on TFK on this topic because he’s inventing a discrimination that doesn’t exist. He has insisted on continuing to complain and bringing up old (oft explained) bannings so I’ve given him a little breather so he can actually read what I said.

For clarity: Everyone is entitled to their opinion. When the same people shout too much about the same thing on the same topic it makes in inaccessible to everyone. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. But I’m all ears (not on this topic) if anyone disagrees.

2 Likes

But you would have no problem calling a white cop racist in the same scenario, and supporting an organization that claims black people are shot by police because of their race. Even though there’s no evidence to support this other than a small number of high profile cases.

The issue you have to confront is that that the great majority of people shot by police, regardless of race, are violent criminals and usually armed and dangerous.

You said yourself the police are more trigger happy around black suspects.

A 1 hr timeout? He still gives out about John Denton from 31 years ago.

7 Likes

Interesting study. One of the findings is Police hesitate longer to shoot Black suspects than White suspects.

1 Like

It’s a shame they don’t use the same approach to secondary school English

Doesn’t matter black, white or fudge ripple, Cops in America are a different animal to any where else. .to me its more a case of whoever ends up in front of them more than who they proactively target… They also put on the uniform like a they’re going to war …the gun, the badge etc… The Power and status is huge…once the lad fought back and bettered them, he was fcuked… the mentaility is totally different to anything here where the gardai only flash the badge to get into coppers for free…

2 Likes

Correct, based on their perception that black men are more likely to have committed a violent crime, resist arrest, pull a gun, shoot a cop, etc. Is that unfair on law abiding black men, absolutely. Does it contribute to unjustified killing of innocent black men, absolutely. The elephant in the room though is the level of violent crime.

Making the above statement alone is denounced as racist on here and elsewhere, even though it gets to the heart of the matter. Black men commit 53% of murders in the US, even though they represent 14% of the male population. Black men commit violent crime on a 3:1 ratio to other races (strangely similar to the ratio of shootings), as identified by their victims, not by cops. Over 90% of victims, whether murder or violent crime, are black.

1 Like

When this comment was posted there was stone splitting sunshine here in Galway City. Since then the clouds have turned black and theres been furious rain and thunder

1 Like

Here comes the Galway killer bee.

But the point is that sustained racism down the years have hugely contributed to black people being disadvantaged In every aspect of society and hence turn to crime.

I would also genuinely wonder about much of those statistics as to the strength of convictions.

1 Like

And they’re even ashamed to do that!

1 Like

I’m really,really hesitant to make any points on this or other threads, as I do not have the interest in these massive monologues and endless debates, but at any stage is there a point in looking at the why of the reasons you outline there? Why do black men commit more crime, why are they involved in more murders?

Does it not point a fact of hundreds of years of oppression and racism in the form of continual put down and may somewhat contribute to their low standing in society, poverty and a general mistrust of people who have abused them for years. Racism still is an issue, a massive one, and more often than not black people have a harder time to try make a life for themselves. People saying now that we have to move on from the sins from hundreds of years ago and look at your actions now, but those sins have made a society of what it is right now. It’s the same in Australia, if not worse to be honest. An inherently racist country where they have had another racist incident in the AFL and from reading social media, the amount of people going on saying that they should look at their own issues and focus on themselves and not being such a pussy over being called names. Again, there is a reason why aborigines are so discarded within communities and why their crime rate is terrible. They are completely shunned and left with damn all.

I’m not giving any solutions here, but there is certainly a rational reason to suggest that continued and sustained racist thoughts and actions for years has left a section of society which is more poverty stricken and ostracised and goes someway to explain why they are more likely to be involved in crime. Plus conviction rates and arrest rates, for similar crimes, are certainly way higher on black people. They are not given the benefit of doubt, due to underlying issues and predetermined thoughts.

8 Likes

He has got a yellow card for dissent.

2 Likes