Racism Continued

It’s strange the way that escalated. The cops weren’t being cunts to him at all and he deserved to be arrested. He was lucid enough to answer questions with appearing to be out of his mind but then started fighting two armed cops, and pulling a tazer. If he had pulled a gun instead would he have shot the cops as well?

They shouldn’t have shot him - let him off to fuck as has been said already.

I don’t believe racism was a factor.

If the stupid cunt didn’t resist he’d be alive.

4 Likes

I’m only going to say this once more because my time is precious to me and I don’t intend to waste more of it justifying myself to you (or anyone).

The topic was shut for everyone. Not just you. For a period of time. I said at that time I’d restart a new thread after everyone had calmed down. I did that. You complained when I shut it down and complained when I started it up again. And your persecution complex is fuelling the narrative in your head that this is an action against you. It was the same rule for everyone. Get over it.

I will however take issue with you suggesting that you haven’t been allowed to discuss racism or factors influencing police behaviour here before. I don’t really put any time or effort into moderating TFK or controlling the flow of nonsense. But I do have a problem with you feeling you have the right to suggest I have ever stopped you having your say. Because that’s patently not true. Every word of drivel you have ever committed to the unfortunate audience that is TFK is here for everyone else to suffer through forever.

I won’t be discussing this more because I have other things to do with my life. This is the last post on this issue. Send me a message if you’re not happy with it. I’ll get back to you in due course. Don’t invent a narrative and feel you have the right to baseless criticism of TFK.

1 Like

This is it… You start with guns – it has to be the starting point – then you work in the rest, from socio-economic to historical factors.

Do the police also kill white people? Yes. — Does that mean racism or prejudice doesnt exist among the police? No - one doesnt negate the other. Do black people kill black people? Yes — Does that mean racism or prejudice doesnt exist among the police? one doesnt negate the other. It also doesnt mean BLM has no grounds to stand on - you cant equate police brutality with the actions of drug dealers or gang bangers.

1 Like

Did they have him searched? Were they sure he didn’t have a gun? Not something you’d think about anywhere else in the world of course

96% of people shot dead by police are men.
#MaleLivesMatter

Interested to see you making the first point.

There’s an institutional type of racism too though. You don’t have to be consciously racist to fear or shoot someone you have been conditioned to perceive as the enemy. But the racial bias still means the end result is the same.

Black man gets shot, and his race is a factor in him being shot.

HBV would be having a field day if he was still alive.

1 Like

Is it racism when a black cop shoots a black man?

1 Like

And here we have a baseless narrative.

I complained that it was shut down as that’s a restriction on debate,I complained with the post the reopened it as I don’t believe racism was a factor in Atlanta. Not the same complaint.

I never suggested that. You’ve banned posters ie hbv before on a whim so no harm get an indication on parameters of debate. Of course that won’t be forthcoming.

And there goes the soother

That’s more of a philosophical question. If the black cop is part of a police force that has been conditioned to look on black people as dangerous and is trigger happy then the black cop can certainly have racial bias. Does that make him racist? I don’t know.

4 Likes

What’s the rate, a cop is 18.5 times more likely to be shot by a black man as a cop is to shoot an unarmed black man.

Could be argued that that would alter perception.

I think the shootings is the wrong thing to focus on. Simply because there’s no policy of shooting blacks it’s just violent interactions gone wrong. But of course they are the highest profile incidents.

The focus should be on general stops and searches and the nature of interactions cops and the black community. Bias and discrimination could definitely be unearthed there and thats what really has an effect on perceptions.

Maybe I don’t understand the issues at all but that seems a particularly daft line of thinking from a father. How many interactions are there each year between American police and black teenage girls, and how many of them lead to the girl coming to any harm? Never mind where the teenage girl is an innocent party.
A not inconsiderable number of commentators have stated that the man shot in Atlanta was justified in resisting arrest because of what racist police do to black men, had he allowed them put handcuffs on he would have been unable to protect himself. That line of thinking sounds similar to the fathers advice for his daughter. If resisting arrest, even when banged to rights, is now considered a logical approach then I don’t expect figures for police killing black men to improve anytime soon.

1 Like

That’s a solid answer. He’ll surely score you highly for that.

It’s a statistically dangerous interaction. It’s decent advice to be careful.

Same if you had a kid going to America from here you’d warn them that police there are different to here so no fucking about if stopped by one.

In the interests of transparency - I’ve given maroonandwhite a (very) short break from the board - an hour or so.

I’ve asked him to stop complaining about how he is being treated on TFK on this topic because he’s inventing a discrimination that doesn’t exist. He has insisted on continuing to complain and bringing up old (oft explained) bannings so I’ve given him a little breather so he can actually read what I said.

For clarity: Everyone is entitled to their opinion. When the same people shout too much about the same thing on the same topic it makes in inaccessible to everyone. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. But I’m all ears (not on this topic) if anyone disagrees.

2 Likes

But you would have no problem calling a white cop racist in the same scenario, and supporting an organization that claims black people are shot by police because of their race. Even though there’s no evidence to support this other than a small number of high profile cases.

The issue you have to confront is that that the great majority of people shot by police, regardless of race, are violent criminals and usually armed and dangerous.

You said yourself the police are more trigger happy around black suspects.

A 1 hr timeout? He still gives out about John Denton from 31 years ago.

7 Likes

Interesting study. One of the findings is Police hesitate longer to shoot Black suspects than White suspects.

1 Like