Radiohead

I couldnā€™t wait to get my hands on it in 1997 and was blown away by it.
A few weeks latet I saw them.in the RDS inthe absolute pissing rain. They were remarkable.

It stands the test of time. It contains the song Karma Police. If every other song on the album was shite, it would still be a landmark for that song alone.

5 Likes

Agree to disagree, never liked it. To be honest I started to really like them with Kid A.

Too young for it maybe, I was 18 in 1993 and it blew me away, fans of the later and more electronic stuff dismiss it and a lot of their early advocates probably disliked the later experimental stuff so itā€™s fallen between two stools imo

Maybe. I probably listened to the bends around when it came out and liked it, ok computer similarly, went back to Pablo honey and thought it was awful, but creep really colours me against it, a ball of shite, thankfully they donā€™t play it live.

I havenā€™t listened to Pablo Honey in about twenty years. It didnā€™t age well. I remember them vaguely at the time and the follow on single Pop Is Dead. Thought they were grand. Wouldnā€™t have predicted they would have followed it up with The Bends (which I loved as a young lad but would never put on these days. There was a copy of it in a hotel room I stayed in Cork lately and does still sound good).

The holy Trinity for me is Ok/Kid/Rainbows

But itā€™s the great thing about the band. Some people will be mad for a bit of High & Dry or Creep whereas others will get more excited by Pyramid Song or Morning Bell. So much to choose from and rarely repeating the same trick.

2 Likes

They do sometimes. Iā€™ve heard it live a few times.

In recent years or a good while back? Havenā€™t played it either time I saw them, which I as probably their last two Dublin dates. Heard they didnā€™t play it any more.

They did it here

I actually think that might be the only time I heard it @glasagusban and they hadnā€™t been playing it for a long time.

This was a sensational set. I was very hammered though.

That 2006 gig was a few days before my final accounting exams. I had to choose between that and Leitrim playing in the Tommy Murphy final in Croker the previous Sunday.

I chose Leitrim. My brother rang me to listen to Paranoid Android. Thanks for that.

Christ - that was 16 years ago.

Brilliant show that. Beck and Deerhoof (a band I was very fond of at the time) supporting. Beck opening with Loser and just going all out to have a good time.

Tough choice.

I was hoping to go to the Replacements reunion in London 7 years back. Same weekend my thesis Iā€™d spent 4 years on was due. Didnā€™t do the gig. They wonā€™t reunite again by all accounts. Gigs were somewhat shambolic but still regret not getting to see them.

1 Like

Iā€™ve really began to like this song in recent years.

Apparently itā€™s about Yorke witnessing a group of tourists rushing to take pictures of a building without actually looking at it and taking in its beauty.

ā€˜Hey man! Slow down!ā€™

The closer on OK Computer. A reflection on an album about technology and the descent of man.

The Tourist.

1 Like

Regarding Radiohead, this is on the mark.

ā€œIf they didnā€™t have a part of the song that sucked, then the other part wouldnā€™t be as coolā€

1 Like

What a day to be alive. The crowd were in savage form that day.

2 Likes

I donā€™t like Pablo Honey but your being harsh here. Itā€™s a decent rock song.

Music is all about happy memories. I was 19 in 1997 when OK Computer came out and 17 when The Bends came out. Iā€™ll forever love them 2 albums as they were sound track to the first few years of college where your making the break from home life and plotting your own chaotic journey with your best mates.

I drifted away from Radiohead for a years but a few of us spent a Sunday in 2003 helping a Laois fella cut down few trees in his lawn in Brisbane, a brilliant man who employed loads of Irish guys on his sites around Brizzy. Anyway, he threw on a few Radiohead albums and we smoked our brains out for a few hours listening to them. I rediscovered OK Computer that day and heard most of Kid A for the first time. Kid A is some album to listen to when your off your head, surreal.

So I threw bits of OK Computer today at different times. The kids looked on a
bemused for a while and then told me to put on something else. The ould fella tolerated it for about 10 mins in the shed this morning before he switched to the death notices.

8 Likes

:grin:

Was there too and had too much to drink.

Roskilde?

Iā€™ve never come across that word before