Random Hurling Team of the 90''s as Selected by Nobodies

Joe deane was unlucky. So many great forwards in the 00s. I loved Eoin Kelly waterford too. Absolutely no Galway players in the discussion.

Close…

My team of the 00’s
Cummins
Canning
Hickey
Kavanagh
Walsh
McGrath
JJ
Kenny
Browne
Ben O Connor
Henry
Larkin
Brennan
Eoin Kelly
Mullane

Throwing Tony Browne in the MF mainly because he has to make any team of the 00’s. If I had to put him in the Half Back line the Ken would go.

Flynn came on as a sub at half time in the 1992 drawn U21 final. That was an unusual game. Waterford scored 0-4 in the first half and then 4-0 in the second half. It finished up Waterford 4-4 Offaly 0-16. Flynn got one of the goals and Growler Daly got a hat-trick.

Flynn started the replay, which Waterford were deserving winners. Offaly had 6 of the team that started the 1994 senior final, just two years later - Kevin Kinahan, Brian Whelehan, Hubert Rigney, Kevin Martin, Johnny Dooley & John Troy. Waterford were losing to Kerry at senior level twelve months later.

How many championship games did Browne play at midfield?

He did in his hole.

Ye Limerick lads completely overhype that Reale lad, he was a good hurler but nowhere near a serious discussion as a Top Top class corner back of that decade. Sherlock was a far better player, even Pat Mulcahy was ffs.

Canning always did a fine job on Eoin Kelly, always. Not too many others did tbf.

Tony played all over, mate. Look at his goal scoring exploits.

You’d wonder how much hurling some lads watched in the 00s given that nobody has so much as mentioned the outstanding corner-back of the decade, Michael Kavanagh, for a spot.

Tommy Walsh is arguably the best hurler of all time. He’d certainly make a team of the century, millienium whatever.

7 Likes

Yeah, I’m fucking that wanker Tyrell off my team.

Another unlucky one. Didn’t want it too dominated by that Kilkenny team. You could argue bar the keeper and maybe Eoin Kelly tipp it should be 13 Kilkenny players.

I never heard of a buzz of excitement from a crowd when Shefflin got the ball. That was reserved for Walsh. It was DJ Carey-like.

You obviously had the volume turned low in the Bedsit so.

Reale wasn’t on him that day. Madness they never moved him over as he’d held him fairly well in previous games. Kelly’s best performance for Tipp. He got a point in the first half where he controlled a puck out down on to his hurl and into his hand, threw a sidestep and over the shoulder. It was the best point I’ve seen live.

Brian Whelehan was a better Number 5 than Tommy Walsh.

1 Like

Tommy Walsh catching a ball over Dan Shanahans head and he a foot shorter than him.

I would say teams that won AIs or knocked those great Kilkenny teams out of the championship would have candidates, so Cork, Tipp and Galway. Everyone else folded like a wet blanket when they faced them.

1 Like

A performance for the ages, he was simply outstanding. They could have thrown 3 lads on him, it wouldn’t have mattered a fuck.

Tommy Walsh was extremely overrated.

I actually attended a lot of hurling matches involving Kilkenny in the 2000s, mate, which I’d wager you didn’t.

Shefflin was a great player but monotonous. Walsh was utterly explosive and dazzling. I’d take the latter over the former any day. And a great little one beats a great big one.

2 Likes

Ah shtap

4 Likes