Rats - A thread about Cats

Pretty normal behaviour for a cat. They are training themselves when doing that

2 Likes

Would that be normal it would?

Any cat we ever had before, always seemed to be more ruthless and just kill it on the spot.

I suppose it sharpens them up to play with the mouse/rat before killing it.

1 Like

If they are starving they’ll kill quickly, whereas a well fed pet cat would torture the poor rodent for 20 minutes until it dies of exhaustion.

2 Likes

Cats are lazy bastards 99.9% of the time but when they get a sniff of a kill they are ruthless killers I often think when I see one of ours trying to catch a bird or a mouse the IRA statement after the Brighton bombing to Thatcher “you have to be lucky all the time we only have to be lucky once”

3 Likes

Female cats always do it to train kittens. They’ll bring back a half dead mouse and leave it off for the kittens to have a go. A really ruthless and selfish animal.

2 Likes

@Juhniallio

Night 1: Peanut butter on the floor, trap nearby, unset.
Night 2: Peanut butter in the trap, unset.
Night 3: Peanut butter in the trap, set.

Morning 4: Red panties.

3 Likes

That’ll take 3 days FFS. By then there’ll be 40+ rats behind Juhy’s shed and the family prisoners in their own house looking out at an explosion of rodents.
A gallon of petrol and burn the fucking shed is the only solution, obviously there’s a rake of nests under it. This isn’t time for strategies and plans and bolloxes from Rentokil, this is an invasion and he needs it sorted by the 15.30 at Punchestown.

12 Likes

Plenty of cats won’t take on a rat.

Will you stop, the time for panic has long since passed.

It’s him versus the rat. And you can rest assured the rat isn’t looking for advice. A strategic approach against one of man’s oldest foes is his only hope.

3 Likes

Burn the house and start over

1 Like

We did that with the last place. Cant go through that again. He got the sausage off the trap last night even though it was seen on. It’s a rusty oul trap in fairness. I’ll get him.

Are you living in a tenement building?

3 Likes

You want to put crunchy peanut butter on it. Something he can’t carry off.

This your lad.

I’ll lend you my cat for a few days, rats and rabbits are her bread and butter

10 Likes

That’s a beaut

2 Likes

I’d have thought most cats wouldn’t go after rats? A relation.of mine with a farm keeps lots of cats around the yard and in outbuildings but I never heard from them that the cats go after rats and in fact he thinks the cats he has are mostly useless. But their presence might be enough to deter rats from being about the place so this may be the reason.

@Juhniallio not being smart but if you catch one rat in the trap aren’t there likely to unfortunately be loads more besides him? I’d go for a stronger approach.

1 Like

We had an issue years ago with rats in the farm sheds… We got 2 cats after that and within a few months the rat problem went away and never came back.

3 Likes

With that level of infestation The only cat that’s any use for @Juhniallio

1 Like

I remember helping my brotherinlaw throw out a bit of meal to his ewes one winters evening and as I did so I slowly became aware of dozens of pairs of eyes appearing in the ditch beside me reflected in the lights of the yard. I suggested to the brotherinlaw that I might head back into the house for a gun and a bag of cartridges and lay waste to the cunts but he said no and that he’d put down a bit of poison the following day.
The poison sorted the problem out but by Christ it was eerie looking at all those little pairs of eyes.

1 Like