Ravenous Part Deux, the cheap likes thread

Incorrect. I didn’t touch a drop. I’m saving myself for this weekend. Myself and the missus are going to Berlin and I’m going to spend the weekend getting hammered drinking bottles of pish from the local supermarket in our hostel dorm.

14 Likes

If you’re explaining…

…you’re ‘ooofting’

7 Likes

headshot

@backinatracksuit, lidl had some fantastic smelling tomatoes on the vine on offer yesterday. I bought a big bag with the intention of making a big load of tomato sauce for use in various dishes. Fire me on a recipe there. I also bought pork mince and beef mince so meatballs will be on the menu soon.

Peel those tomatoes,
Chop onions and garlic (lots) finely, fry gently in a large pot. Add a tin of tomatoes and then your fresh ones. A couple of chilis, you can chop them or just puncture them a few times and remove at the end.
I usually add anchovies, a little oregano and lots of fresh basil but you can use what you like. Add a teaspoon of sugar now as well.
Heat gently, I usually simmer for a couple of hours. Then I put in a nice glug of balsamic or red wine vinegar, a little salt and pepper and more basil. Take out the chili and blitz it. Very simple but can be used in any amount of dishes. Make lots and freeze it.

Donal Skehan had a lovely recipe for meatballs in the Irish Times on Saturday.

1 Like

Leave the seeds in or squeeze those out after peeling?

Don’t we all think he’s a cunt?

I think he’s a nice polite lad.

3 Likes

I usually pierce the chilis and take them out afterwards, it’s a subtle heat left behind. I have kids (you probably didn’t realise that of course)

On second reading it’s the tomatoes you’re talking about. I throw them in whole, they break up quickly, Obviously that’s seeds in but it’s just made up, play around with it.
The balsamic or sherry vinegar and the anchovies would be essential for my tastes.

1 Like

Well able to knock up a lovely bit of grub too, the muldoons wouldn’t like a lad like that

They’d think only mammies should cook. They’d be threatened by the concept of a man who knows his way around a kitchen.

2 Likes

there are some savage insecure lads on this site, imagine being threatened by a lad like Donal

Pitiful

3 Likes

Good manners is the sign of a cunt nowadays.

2 Likes

Well I’m a nice polite lad and everyone on here calls me a cunt so that would tally with the forum alright.

4 Likes

Made this Jamie Oliver recipe recently and it’s really good and extremely easy, used the tinned tomatoes (blended) to make it more palatable for the kids. You could add whatever you want to it.

1 Like

Very similar to what I do myself really. I like to use fresh tomatoes mostly as the tinned ones have a strong almost concentrated taste.
You can add almost anything as you said.

‘Don’t we all think he’s a cunt’

The snowflake generation in a nutshell.