Ravenous Part Deux, the cheap likes thread

It’s no wonder people don’t like it if its used for spam. In the US corned beef is cured brisket, supposedly Irish Americans picked it up from the Jews who love the stuff (the Reuben sandwich). The store bought corned beef here is horrid, still countless tons of it are eaten on St Patrick’s day.

Lads, this is how to buy and cook a brisket, from the master himself, Aaron Franklin.
People wait in line for 6-8 hours, 6 days a week, year round to eat this man’s brisket.

https://youtu.be/VmTzdMHu5KU

Part two, smoking the brisket.

https://youtu.be/pGZ39yYxeBk

Is that a reply to me? It’s the same thing that I said, corned beef is cured brisket.
What does spam have to do with it, it’s some mechanically seperated ultra low grade pork product.

If that’s a reply to me, I was pointing out the difference between corned beef on both sides of the Atlantic. British / Irish corned beef comes in a can and is about the same culinary quality as spam (I know what fucking spam is), while US corned beef is a whole brisket that has been cured and packaged. Both are crap but the US version is at least edible.

@backinatracksuit that looks unreal mate. Did one last summer in the BBQ and after seeing that I’ll have to go again. The key is the woodchips to smoke the hell out of it.

2 Likes

Sorry mate, this may come as a surprise to you but corned beef ie cured brisket or silverside has been a staple on Irish tables for generations, I was reared eating it every Thursday. I’m a little unsure how you thought I was referring to that stuff that comes sin a tin although that also played a big part in my early years.

2 Likes

Correct. Possibly boiled definitely not slow cooked though. I don’t think iv ever seen meat out of a tin eaten in Ireland

Always boiled, same as bacon, eaten with cabbage as well. Mustard is the best condiment for this.
The tinned stuff that Labane seems to think is ‘Irish’ Corned beef is the stuff that is sliced and put into sandwiches with brown sauce :yum:
It’s also known as corned beef of course but it’s just the lips and assholes variety of beef

1 Like

There is no tradition whatsoever in Ireland for curing brisket (or siverside for that matter) and calling it “corned beef”. Corned beef in Britain and Ireland refers to the practice of salting beef (any cut of beef) to preserve it, and is synonymous from the early 20th century with product packaged in cans. Curing brisket is a Jewish custom and Irish Americans picked it up in the US. No doubt it made its way back across the Atlantic, and you could find cured brisket in Ireland since the early 20th century, but the use of the term “corned beef” to describe cured brisket was and is literally unknown in Ireland, unless one is trying to impress an American tourist. Corned beef and cabbage which every American thinks is the Irish national dish, is an Irish American dish that was exported to Ireland.

I’m not a food historian mate, my mother made us ‘Corned beef’ every Thursday growing up (a story for another day), her mother had made her family ‘corned beef’ weekly as well going back to the 40s when my mother was born. I often accompanied her to town where she would ask the butcher for corned beef and he knew exactly what she was referring to,
I’ve no doubt I could walk into most butcher shops in Limerick city tomorrow and see corned beef (brisket or silverside) and that is what the butcher and the customer will call it.

2 Likes

Clearly. I am not questioning your own experience of corned beef mate, just correcting your error in calling it (cured brisket) a traditional Irish dish. It isn’t as I’ve now explained twice, but carry on. If I walk into an Indian takeout in Limerick and ask for a curry, does that mean curry originated in Limerick?

1 Like

He’s a cork lad, keep this in mind.

1 Like

This is tough :slight_smile:
I have no idea where it originated but it is commonly eaten in Ireland and was long before foreign influences held any sway. Ambrose could well be right, maybe it is a Cork thing.
To be fair, I never even said it was a traditional Irish dish, what I said was that brisket is traditionally (often) the cut of beef that is corned, therefore there is less left over for cooking on the barbeque :slight_smile:

That looked so good that I had to check out Loko on the web,
lovely looking menu, 19 euro seems great value for what you have on that platter. They even got the ox cheek on :grinning:

What about spiced beef. Is that not essentially cured brisket /silverside/corned beef

Anyway, here’s round 2 with the brisket, sliced pan was all I had as I never got to the shops or market yesterday.

What’s all the red shit on the plate?

It’s a yoke one of the kids painted and glazed in a pottery place below by Slea Head a couple of years ago.

I’m enjoying my Dingle Sushi now. It’s very good .

1 Like