Ravenous Part Deux, the cheap likes thread

For the day that’s in it. This was a decent tricolor before cooking. Salmon fillet with a maple/Dijon glaze, homemade potato croquettes, and Brussels sprouts with bacon and shallots tossed in truffle oil. Fish and sprouts baked in a very hot oven (450F), croquettes pan fried.

1 Like

1 Like

Bland

Ya won’t get coddle outside the Red Cow

He’d want to get used to bland where he’s going (apparently)

That’s a lovely looking plate of grub.

Simple, yet very very tasty I’d say. I’d ate that.

6 Likes

A barbecue in the middle of a pothole :thinking:

What’s the next clue?. This is a hard one.

2 Likes

The steak in the middle was my own obviously, over an inch thick, unbelievable.
and the baked spuds were new potatoes, some of the best I’ve ever had

1 Like

Keeping up the steak theme, had a lovely striploin this evening. Bit of salt and pepper with a BBQ seasoning mix to flavour it. Cooked on the BBQ (or grill to some of ye) medium rare and rested.

Finished it off with some new potatoes from our local supplier, and some carrots from another local farmer. Salad from the veggy patch in the back garden. Sweet corn from the freezer. The red wine mushroom sauce probably took longest to do. Some mushrooms and onions fried up, a heap of red wine, bit of balsamic and gravy and reduced over heat for a good while to get a nice consistency to it.

Nice bottle of Heineken and great evening watching some shite football.

9 Likes

No photo but rib eye done medium rare on the pan. Sliced sweet potato roasted in the oven topped with chilli and tomato cheddar cheese, sliced santini tomatoes, spring onions and green and red chillies. Decent.

2 Likes

Sounds good, would have made a great photo :yum:

The wooden floor wasn’t up to scratch, I’d have been torn apart.

2 Likes

A nice worktop, backsplash or a few stones in the back yard could have helped you out.
Fireplaces to be the next big thing. :relaxed:

Had a lovely supper yesterday. Started with ox tongue and crispy goat bacon, followed by lamb rack chops on a bed of baba ghanoush, beets and olives. Was going to take a photo for you cunts, but was too busy eating. This was the first time I’ve eaten goat, and I’m happy to report it was very tasty.

It was accompanied by a bottle of La Pinèdes Costières de Nîmes. This wine went well with every course, and its taste notes changed to clove after an elderflower and gooseberry fool. @anon7035031 - following a quick google, I can confirm that this wine is available in all good ‘gas stations’ in California.

Tonight saw another culinary first. I made a chocolate mousse using cocoa, honey, lime juice and avocados. Winner, winner, chocolate dinner :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Recipe for that one plez

The savoury part sounds absolutely unbelievable, tongue is one of my favourite things in the world and goat bacon seems like a great idea :open_mouth:

Bravo

1 Like

2 very ripe avocados, 3 desert spoons cocoa powder, 4-5 desert spoons honey, juice of half a lime. Put them all in the food processor and blitz until it’s a chocolate mousse. Couldn’t be simpler, and it’s about as healthy as a chocolate desert gets.

That’s some serious upping the ante there mate. I was first introduced to wine as a young whippersnapper by a lovely lady who advised me to seek out southern Rhone wines in the 10-15 (insert denomination of your choice) range. That’s a lot of bottles ago, but the advice still holds. We have an an online outfit here called Wines Till Sold Out, not sure if you have something similar. A bit hit or miss, but they regularly have single village CdR for less than $15 a bottle, and you literally can’t go wrong. The climate ensures that poor vintages are extremely rare, unlike Bordeaux for example.

That Mousse sounds delicious, even though Julia Child would have castrated you. Chocolate mousse is my daughter’s specialty, but being classically trained like myself, ingredients are simply chocolate, egg whites and cream. Hard to beat if the chocolate is good quality.

I saw a similar recipe for a chocolate spread using black beans as the main ingredient with cocoa powder, peanut butter and almonds