Ravenous

They look unreal. What are they?

Looks like cabbage in pastry. Looks brilliant though.

1 Like

courgette pie, its unreal

Fire up the recipe

2 Likes

You’re on a roll pal. :thumbsup:

You should always get a second opinion when getting serious advice in the INTERNET.

**the off the shelf sour dough bread is nothing near what @ironmoth is suggesting.

this is making me feel better coming from yourself, a highly regarded and senior contributor to ravenous

2 Likes

Typical ingredients - Supermarket off the shelf Sour Dough bread.

“Sourdough 25% (Water,Rice Flour, Maize Starch, Buckwheat Flour, Salt, Culture Starter), Water, Potato Starch, Whey (Milk) Powder, Maize Starch, Sunflower Oil, Inulin, Yeast, Soya Protein Isolate, Sugar, Thickener (Xanthum Gum, Guar Gum), Olive Oil,Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Emulsifier (Soya Lecithin, Diacetyltartaric acid …”

I’d say Xanthum Gum is good for you.

1 Like

I ate two of those Bloomers you get in Supervalu over the weekend.

Nice. I ate a couple of Lebanese flat breads over the weekend that had 5g of sugar in each of them. In fairness the coleslaw and salad cream probably didn’t help either but I was treating myself after being off bread for 5 whole days.

1 Like

This has been a rough day on the Ravenous thread. @Tassotti’s body is feeling incredible effects as the last of the meat poisons leave his system, and at a vulnerable time he was preyed on by the anti-sourdough brigade, led by @ChocolateMice. It’ll take a huge effort in the “Lessons for life” thread to put this right.

It is understandable that KP who has a new baby in the house was not in a position to intervene sooner, but the real villain here is @glasagusban. I wouldn’t be surprised if this was part of his masterplan all along. He truly is running rings around the forum. Scheming, coupled with very lackadaisical moderating, has caused severe reputational damage to an age-old bread making technique.

Listen, pal…the thing needs a load of acids just to make it human friendly… Just give it up, the ship has sailed…

Buckwheat :grinning:

1 Like

M[quote=“TreatyStones, post:12820, topic:7643, full:true”]

I ate two of those Bloomers you get in Supervalu over the weekend.
[/quote]

My granny used to hang her bloomers on the line

:smile:

Lads - Eggplant / Aubergine - I will shortly have a fine crop of them. Cooking suggestions?

2 Likes

Eggplant Parmigiana
Slice two medium eggplants 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle salt on them and leave in a colander in the sink for half an hour. Meanwhile make a tomato sauce; saute a finely chopped onion and a few cloves crushed garlic, add 1lb crushed tomatoes and 1 tsp sugar, simmer for 15 minutes, add a bit of chopped basil. Rinse the eggplants, dry them and rub them with olive oil. Bake in a baking dish for 10 minutes at 200C. Take them out, layer 8oz sliced mozzarella on top of them, pour tomato sauce over and a cup of grated parmesan mixed with a few tsp breadcrumps. Back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.

4 Likes

+1

This immediately made me think of an Adam Sandler’s Food Innuendo Song :smile:

@Fitzy - the recipe my esteemed Galway culinary colleague has posted is top notch. As you’ll be using your own tomatoes, no doubt, you could leave any seasoning with salt, pepper and sugar to closer to the end of the sauce prep - go by taste. One thing I would add is a bay leaf at the point where you add the tomatoes to the pan (have not tried clove, but will after reading Labane’s post). This recipe is a regular in the Moth household.

1 Like