Ravenous

:dizzy_face: Unreal

The Tescos finest rashers are amongst the finest rashers I’ve ever had

2 Likes

Bombay chicken cauliflower on a bed of whole grain rice and spinach with a mint and yoghurt dressing just now.

11 Likes

@Smark - just saw this “on offer” in Tesco. I’ve had it before and it’s nothing to write home about. Should put what you made into perspective - easily €30 worth of end product. Plus, you know exactly what was involved in the production.

2 Likes

He’d love the extra virgin stuff alright. It’d suit him.

$30k? Is it a Toyota Corolla?
Here, how did you do the Lamb, I’m assuming you didn’t just plnk it on the grill like that and had it in foil over a relatively low heat for a long time?

The sandwich I made for my lunch today: Wholegrain bread, butter, home made tomato relish, home grown rocket, left over of rainbow trout from weekend, cheese, boiled egg, roasted home grown red peppers (or capsicums as the natives call them). It was super, especially washed down with large mugs of tae.

Why did you give lamb a capital “L”? Unless you think the lamb was called Lamb?

I hope you’re not assuming to know how I BBQ my lamb.

Because it’s the Lamb of God apparently, I wouldn’t want to disrespect someone’s faith. I’m not assuming anything, I’m asking you how you cooked the thing, but if you’re going to be all snippy about it then don’t worry about it.
What wine did you have with it.

I just plonked it on the roasting tray for about 2 & half hours. 1 minute per mm of thickness, isn’t it? I didn’t do any fancy foil stuff, nor did I stick a can of Budweiser up the lamb’s (leg’s) hole.

I’ve been on a negroni buzz for the last month, so had 1 before, and after dinner. I also think I had a glass of rosé & ice somewhere in between, as ‘twas a scorcher that day, from memory.

Sounds beautiful. It’s been scorching and this week will be very hot again, I was delighted at the rain on Saturday night though. I’m drinking very little wine this weather, gojng back on the beer this coming weekend.

The best way to cook lamb is rotisserie. Make a rub with tbs ground black pepper, tbs caraway seed, and a tsp each salt, brown sugar, turmeric or saffron if you have it, and ground cardamom (a must). Slice the fatty surfaces of a leg of lamb and rub the rub on. Leave covered at RT for an hour while the grill gets hot. Slide the lamb into the skewer and cook over indirect heat at 350F for 1 hour and check temp. 125F is about ideal and tent with foil for 15 minutes.
Wine: a decent Shiraz, maybe Penfolds St. Henri 2012.

2 Likes

Agree rating.
Especially agree rating on the wine - with a wine like that you need to spend a bit of time beforehand also, decanting it and making sure it’s kept in the appropriate temperature. It’s a wonderful thing that deserves a bit of respect.

Surely the vanilla extract alone costs more than the store bought product? It seems an awful lot of work for something you can buy at the store (Whole Foods have great product here).

Definitely a special occasion wine, what would a bottle set you back in Aussie?, it’s about $65 here. Two best wines imo from Aussie are South Australian Shiraz and Tasmanian Chardonnay. The latter is just delicious tack.

Make that $40k then. I thought Subaru’s were cheaper. It’s an Outback btw.

Prob about $45k I’m afraid, great cars though.

A recent bottle of St Henri would be about $85, so slightly cheaper than what you’re paying in US$. A client gave me a 2007 bottle as a christmas present there a couple of years back. You can’t really go wrong with south australian shiraz, especially if it has the name Penfolds on it.
My neighbour, a rep for a wholesaler, was showing me two bottles of Grange he was delivering to a restaurant the other day, ordered for a specific meal. $1500 a pop wholesale, god knows what the restaurant was selling them for retail.

I had (well, shared) a bottle of Grange in Melbourne some years ago. It was worth every penny (obviously I wasn’t paying). It reminds me of the story about the farm laborer eating lunch and lashing butter on the spuds. “Did you know that butter is 25 pence a pound in the store” shrieked the farmer’s wife, “and it’s worth every penny” replied the laborer.

1 Like

Unfortunately I haven’t had the pleasure as yet. I was at a lunch a few years ago for an event we were a sponsor for and was sat beside Richard Corbett, the then CEO of Woolworths. On viewing the table wine, he asked the waiter for two bottles of Henscke’s Hill of Grange to be brought over and the bill sent to him. It was wonderful, but really should have been opened 24 hours before, considering it sells for $1200 a pop. Richard was a very nice man, but I suspected he actually didn’t know much about wine and probably had a given a wedge of money to someone to buy a cellar for him and tell him the names of a few bottles so he would appear knowledgeable.

1 Like