Ravenous

Did you do that at the 500 degrees

the maris piper is unreal, a real all rounder, baking, chips and roasties, they can do anhything, they have another breed aswell, “king edwards” they are unreal too, I normally boil the roasties first for 5 minutes then shake the shit out of them before putting them in with the meat, you get an unreal crispy spud then

1 Like

It’s the best spud on the planet. I don’t know why we don’t grow them here in any decent quantity. The brits grow fuvk all but Maris pipers, you’d have to hand it to them.

2.5 hours at 130 @Fagan_ODowd
10 minutes then with the burners on (300)

We see a lot more of them than you realise, tesco always stock maris pipers. If you buy loose white potatoes in tesco they will usually be pipers as well.
They’re good for roasting and chipping alright.

the Irish haven’t a clue about good spuds if you ask me, kerr pinks, records’ and all that shite, they haven’t a notion

@Fitzy and @anon7035031 - have to hand it to you both. I’m after a nice ‘antipasto’ platter, with a tasty selection of Spanish cheese, Italian meats, Scottish biscuits, and so forth. All washed down with a delicious Australian Cabernet Sauvignon that was sourced in a premises that does not also sell fuel. It cost under €10 but was top notch nonetheless.

I have a 2010 Cabernet Sauvignon from California for tomorrow’s dinner (a chicken and chorizo jambalaya) - cost a few sheckles more, but it’s an absolute beauty.

Off to watch Spotlight now, and chuckling away at all the mugs blowing their money on over-priced French and Italian piss. Probably mixing in anti-freeze to make up for the lack of bouquet due to another poor harvest.

#VivaCaliEtOz

1 Like

Napa/Sonoma Cabs are outstanding, but can be pricey, some would say overpriced due to their reputation. $20 is about the starting point for anything decent, and $50 seems to be the price point for the popular high rating wines. Hard to beat for pairing with meat dishes, especially a steak straight from the oven, wrapped in tinfoil obviously and smothered in blue cheese sauce. Don’t know if available in Ireland but a label I like is Napa Cellars, they have a very decent Cab at about $20 and a nice Chardonnay for $15.

2 Likes

The people that brought you Green Spot stock their Zinfandel.

http://mitchellandson.com/napa-cellars-zinfandel.html

Fish cakes with a tomato salad and home made brown bread for dinner tonight. About to coat the cakes in pinko breadcrumbs and I’ll chill them for a few hours before shallow frying them

6 Likes

That looks daycent. What’s in the salad and what is the recipe for the fishcakes?

Nice. Spoiled only by the commie breadcrumbs.

2 Likes

Just spotted the spelling mistake there, was trying to figure out how the panko were communist :laughing:
Can’t beat the panko for a crispy finish.

1 Like

A few different types of tomatoes peeled and quartered (except the cherries), finely sliced shallots, rocket, coriander, basil, home made vinaigrette, salt and pepper.
The fish cakes are a Marcus Wareing recipe, I’ve used it before and it’s spectacular, I’ve added cooked tiger prawns to this recipe

3 Likes

That looks delicious but I couldn’t wait that long for a fish cake. Here’s an American version, based on lack of patience and need to keep things simple for the locals.

Maryland Crab cakes from California Bistro by Tony Di Lembo, with labane’s custom red bell pepper sauce:

Mix 2 eggs, 1/3 cup mayo, 1/4 cup parsley, 1.5 tbs chives, 1.5 tsp worcestershire, 1.5 tsp cajun seasoning,1 tsp dijon, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper in a bowl. Add 1 cup breadcrumbs and 1/2 lb crabmeat, mix well. Shape into 6 cakes, coat in panko or cracker meal, chill for an hour and panfry in butter for 4 min a side over medium heat. Meanwhile saute a chopped up red bell pepper and a few shallots in butter for 5 minutes then blend with a 1/2 cup cream. Slop the sauce onto the middle of the plate and serve the crab cake on top.

2 Likes

The whole thing took about an hour to put together earlier on while I was listening to the radio, I don’t mind spending the time cooking if I’m confident it will work out well and I’ll get a few compliments on it (from the missus rather than yereselves but that’s nice as well :smirk:)
All that needs to be done now is to fry them for a few minutes on each side and lob onto the plates with the salad.

1 Like

Baked potato with homemade egg mayo and sour cream,
Tomato and rocket salad, medium cooked rib eye steak

4 Likes

My da would give you loads for having your plate over the edge of the counter. Looks nice though.

On-rale. :clap:

You’ve posted some nice stuff on cooking but that sounds fucking disgusting. Who the fuck puts mayo in a fish cake!? :anguished: