Referendum 2024

Trying to get my head around this seriously,
What does the state currently do to ensure that this article of the current constitution is upheld

Its all good lads. Barbie will be on the 2026 leaving cert curriculum. Job is oxo

Whats being purposed will render marraige as a legal entity basically pointless.

The state actually does nothing on this and possibly failing. Maybe a reason to change the wording

1 Like

Is that such a bad thing? The quality of the relationship is surely more important than the piece of paper or the day out

Imho its a legally binding document that you will share you life with someone. Meaning of marriage is different between people based on their opinions feelings and religious outlooks. By removing what it is will damage society overall. You have to make a mature adult decision to marry someone. This new wording could open up to people getting into relationships trying to get out of them as its not compatible but end up owing financially in the long run despite it not being a good relationship

I’m not sure I follow, your marriage and your vows remain the same, you retain everything
But people who choose for whatever reason not to marry will have similar rights. I didn’t marry for any legal rights,

Having reread your post I’m pretty sure your interpretation of what might happen isn’t related to the issue at hand

Inheritance, tax, pensions, guardianship amongst a lot of other things all break down. We’re forcing the courts to decide what a durable relationship is when we already cater for relationships outside of marriage so why are we throwing everything to the wind? If it ain’t broken…

6 Likes

Polygamy is the solution. That’ll sort it

1 Like

Can you clear up what you mean by catering for other relationships outside of marriage?

In theory under the proposed referendum if one spouse is having an extra marital affair than the person they’re having the affair with may have a financial claim to part or all of their estate.

1 Like

Only if the couple having the affair send out Christmas cards together iirc

Its misogynistic that a bird can ride you and lay claim to your kingdom

Imagine having to live with multiple women who aren’t blood relatives. You would need to work 2 jobs to get some peace

1 Like

A lot of things can happen in theory, that sounds like a red herring to me, no way they could lay claim to all the estate.

But that response isn’t an answer to my question

There seems to be nothing in this referendum that suits middle aged Irish fellas.

8 Likes

Correct me if im wrong but for the gay marraige and repeal referendums were the outline of draft legislation published by the yes side to support their argument?

1 Like

It’s pro-men as well as being pro-women

Why should women be pigeonholed as housewives?

It affirms the value of house husbands

It’s basically aligning the constitution along the lines of the change of name of the Calor Gas Housewife Of The Year competition to Calor Gas Homemaker Of The Year

That was a great victory for real men’s rights

I honestly don’t know.

I can’t see anything at all controversial in that particular part of the referendum, the arguments I’ve seen here against it are ferocious stretches altogether, extra marital affairs etc, it’s nonsense really to suggest that a secret mistress will have equal rights with a long standing wife,

That will pass in a landslide

1 Like

If you dont know that why vote yes. If they cant even say whats the benefits than why support it so blindly?