Referendum 2024

Backstop??

:grin:

Family referendum slightly favoured to pass now (4/5 vs 10/11)

Care referendum favoured to be rejected (4/6 vs 11/10)

Whatever else it should make for a close, to the wire count

I don’t understand that one?

Seriously though, there’s been an awful lot of controversy over that term but I haven’t heard alternatives

FLAC suggested the following be added after the term “durable relationships”:
“such as that exists between parents and children”

Pretty clear and concise, encompasses single parent families, co habiting couples with children and does away with the bogeyman family reunification arguement.

3 Likes
Forget yes or no, will you even bother your hole vote?
  • I’ll vote
  • I wont bother me bollix
0 voters

Im a likely no on that pending an appointment. I’ll change my vote to ensure the accuracy of the poll should my circumstances change

1 Like

The integrity of a TFK poll is never in question :clap:

It wouldn’t be objectionable wording but it would seem an odd sort of phrasing to include in the constitution. Citing one example and not others is a little odd and would seem to exclude married couples without children.

For context for our TFK readers: FLAC is recommending a yes vote on the family referendum. They suggested the alternative wording out of an abundance of caution but the recommendation is a yes vote to the new family wording.

Ill be voting yes on care referendum certainly. The language it will take out of the constitution is beyond misogynistic.
Im gonna go down to the wire on the family one cos i love a bit of drama.

It wouldn’t exclude married couples with no children though. The wording would be “whether founded on marriage or on other durable relationships; such as that which exists between parents and children”

I’m fully aware FLAC are advocating a Yes on this amendment @backinatracksuit asked for an alternative and I provided one from what I believe to be a reputable source.

For balance I think it’s important to state FLAC are advocating for a No on the care amendment.

2 Likes

I’ve always voted in every election/referendum but I’ve absolutely zero interest in this one. All the main law bodies seem in favour of the change. If these people who are experts in the language of these things think the proposed wording is good, why should I listen to John376434 :ireland: over them?

8 Likes

Say turnout will be low. Lot of people don’t know what tis about, or care either. It’s just not very Interesting compared to a general election /presidential election, etc.
Can’t get my head around it myself tbh.

The lads who said trust the science and the qualified scientists on Covid now won’t trust the senior constitutional lawyer on matters of the Constitution over the parliamentary assistant and career politician.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/orlatinsley/status/1765469242399293484?s=46&t=K27wQ5SlUD1o1nD3wyFPgA

A Yes vote in the Care Referendum resists the acknowledgement of the autonomy of people with disabilities. It is the outcome of a society that has such inbuilt ableism that it cannot imagine how voting Yes in Friday’s Care Referendum is a vote against their very own lives. At some point, each citizen will face some kind of disability or a family member will be in need of support and it is much easier for the government to eschew any kind of responsibility if this amendment passes.

The government could have listened to the Citizens Assembly’s advice on wording when in December 2022, the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Gender Equality ratified the Citizens’ Assembly recommendation, advising the Government to hold a referendum to replace Article 41.2. The suggested wording read:

The state recognises that care within and outside the home and Family gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved. The State shall, therefore, take reasonable measures to support care within and outside the home and Family.

The government chose not to listen to this advice. What a difference it would have made.

1 Like

pretty much same as that. I havent kept up with it much at all to be honest so I dont get why this is necessary right now, and I dont get what benefits a yes will do, nor do I get what negatives a yes would do. Many saying to leave well enough alone, and not that that is a reason to vote no, but more a reason to abstain than anything. I suppose the big thing is what will change if it gets through, and what will change or not be able to happen if it doesnt get through.

Pal, do me a favour & please vote yes on the family amendment so my childer aren’t labelled as being not part of a family. Every vote counts & I might even have to use my second & third one.

It seems the only people against this one are Luas burners, anti-immigration, anti-vaxx, Iona Institute agreeing, religious zealot, anti-repeal, library picketing, far right, absolute headbanger freaks.

2 Likes

Ya i haven’t seen anything like that set out clearly. Just all seems very vague and mainly around the interpretation of wording.

Looks like it was something the Government thought would give them an easy win.

The abortion referendum set out very clearly want would change, why change was needed etc. Same with the marriage one. This one just seems a bit pointless.

1 Like

I can’t endorse a “family” where the father spends 90% of his time running away from them and then the other 10% chasing the children around the park on a Sunday morning to make them run too.

2 Likes

thats also my concern too about not voting.

He’d be as well going off and marrying that poor girl.