Regular Savings - Suggestions

I’d suggest educating yourself on something collectible that shows steady increase in value. There’s a million and one things that have proven better investments than savings, shares etc.
Anything; paintings, first editions, woodworking tools, toys, fountain pens, comics, lps, wine
As soon as you let someone else invest your money you’re cutting into the returns.
Information and knowledge is the key.
Don’t pay retail

1 Like

I think he’s trying to make a eejit out of you @KinvarasPassion

1 Like

I’m not

You’re a farmer, you know how to buy and sell.

I get your point, but fountain pens and woodworking tools was a stretch :slight_smile:

Iv an old lathe, two chisels and a spirit level from the 60s with your name on it. Make me an offer

2 Likes

You’d nearly fix your mouth with the four of them.

4 Likes

Youd need automation to fix it good and proper

3 Likes

Parker 51s are double what they were 10 years ago. 40 for a clean one. An average disston or Atkins handsaw in good condition can make 100-200, a norris plane can fetch 2k privately. A clean mathieuson chisel can fetch 50, 500 for a plane.

1 Like

Put them on ebay

Are you one of the lads on antique roadshow?

1 Like

No, but I try to keep my eyes open. I’m self employed so pension fund wouldn’t be too lucrative.
Those guys on antiques roadshow have a broad knowledge, there’s not much hope of any of us acquiring that sort of expertise. However there’s so much information available online that it’s possible to have reasonable expertise in a narrow field.
It’s a but unconventional, if everyone was at it there wouldn’t be any profit margin.

2 Likes

You’re exactly the fella who should have a lucrative pension.

Pointless activity for me anyway, I’ve no value on anything and would either break it or lose it. I’d likely bring the Parker 51 out taking tag numbers and lose it on a foot of shite.

5 Likes

I agree

1 Like

What is a 35 making these days, or a door for a hi-line cab?

5k if it was in good nick.

1 Like

Worth every penny/cent…

1 Like

I was thinking about getting on last year for small jobs around the place. Any of them in mediocre shape (not having the block welded, etc) were going mad money, up to 8k. The vintage scene has made them dear.

I saw.a.very clean 35x today that was picked up for 2k. They’re very handy and reliable, and you can buy new parts etc