Regular Savings - Suggestions

I have a Halifax Flexi Saver account at the moment, suits me down to the ground, unlimited withdrawls and no minimum amount to save with a nice 3.75% rate. I’ve being thinking of swiching over to an Ulster Bank Regular Savings account though, 4.75%.

Dreadful time for saving anywhere really with the low intrest rates.

[quote=“farmerinthecity”]Decided to get my act together today and walked down to my local Bank of Ireland branch to get some financial advice. I was impressed enough with their lump sum options however their Dualsaver regular saving account didn’t hugely impress me given the sweep from 3% to 1.75% when savings reach 5k.

Had a brief look around there at other financial institutions who mainly seem to have variable rates which would not hugely appeal to me as I am quite risk adverse.

Any of ye bankers, or anyone else, aware of other decent options out there?[/QUOTE]

I’d suggest not leaving 14k in your current account. That is all.

[quote=“Beers Mangan, post: 325994, member: 359”]Anglo

Despite its current owners & its previous owners:

It is offering the best rates on depoits (in todays market)

If Anglo hurts too much:

An Post[/quote]

Good advice, mate. :clap:

I’m not very organised with my personal finances (despite being one of the best project financiers in the northern hemisphere) so I’ve resolved this year to get a handle on matters and commence saving regularly. I would appreciate any advice you chaps may have with regard to competitive saving offers/schemes with financial institutions. It wouldn’t be anything too hectic - I’d perhaps be looking to put €100-€200 per month away and still have access to it as and when I need it.

I have a 7 day savings account with AIB, pal. You have to give 7 days notice for withdrawals but the interest rate is not as good obviously as it was when I first opened it 5 or 6 years ago-still better than the current account mind.

Cheers @Horsebox.

Also chaps, is there much hassle in opening such a savings account generally these days? Do you have to do it in person and provide ID, proof of address and all that bollox?

I am actually in a very similar position. All my money is currently sitting in my current account and I am going to go into the bank later this month to try and set something similar up. Was thinking around the £300 a month mark myself and would like access to it as and when necessary. I think an ISA would have been a very good idea in hindsight a few years ago but the sake of .5% interest extra is hardly worth it to me for setting one up now but not being about to partially access the money

rates are gone crap but rabodirect account is easy to setup, ie all online with one letter providing id etc, and easy to use with instant access. I think the post office offer the best rates but not internet friendly.
Anybody know any decent business savings account?

Christ, if @farmerinthecity the city had taken my advice and put his money in any reasonably diversified equity fund he’d be sitting on gains of at least 50% by now. What an obnoxious cunt he was.

I opened a rabo account last year. Put a very small lump sum in a few funds that have done well. I throw in a bit every month. I’ve ended up taking some out a few times as it’s a bit too easy to withdraw but it’s definitely better than leaving it in my current account.

Anyone know the cheapest way to move money abroad? I want to move some money to my own accounts in the US but it cost me about €100 to do so between bank charges and a shitty fucking exchange rate.

What kind of funds @briantinnion?

[quote=“briantinnion, post: 881287, member: 6”]Christ, if @farmerinthecity the city had taken my advice and put his money in any reasonably diversified equity fund he’d be sitting on gains of at least 50% by now. What an obnoxious cunt he was.

I opened a rabo account last year. Put a very small lump sum in a few funds that have done well. I throw in a bit every month. I’ve ended up taking some out a few times as it’s a bit too easy to withdraw but it’s definitely better than leaving it in my current account.

Anyone know the cheapest way to move money abroad? I want to move some money to my own accounts in the US but it cost me about €100 to do so between bank charges and a shitty fucking exchange rate.[/quote]
Currencyfair mate.

Fuck that passive shit, better off to go balls deep in property and Ryanair shares. Or better still, transfer an amount each month to a betting website and coin it from the super tips available here.

In fairness, it actually was.

Savings at mostly negative real rates is near on a mugs game at the mo. A mix of passive funds is prob a better solution - plenty on Rabo. US markets may have peaked though.

Glanbia

Reccomend a fund

A mix of a Rabo savings account and some Rabo managed funds then, is it?

@Rocko[/USER], @[USER=246]Boxtyeater[/USER] and @[USER=122]dancarter - please advise.

@Bandage

You will of course be aware that higher interest rates are offered for accounts where you have limited access to. I would be amazed that you don’t have some levels of saving/excess cash given that you are such a high flyer. I would shove that off to one of those accounts. Also useful if you going looking for a mortgage which considering where you are in life at the moment shouldn’t be too far off.

You should then have your regular savings. 200 quid a month isn’t worth a shit.

Do they have bank accounts in foreign jurisdictions though? Couldn’t see from their website. My US bank charges $30 flat fee to receive funds from a foreign bank regardless of transaction size. The cunts.

I went for a split between US equities (support jobs in the homeland) and global financials. Once you open an account with Rabo is very easy to subscribe to or redeem from funds.