Reopen the counties - the COVID-19 Edgy thread

An Enterprise led report believing in getting on with business again, well I never.

What do you mean “if we don’t see the benefits”? Seeing the benefits means ICU isn’t overloaded and people aren’t dying in large numbers.

5 Likes

Do you realise how many are dying in France, Spain & Italy? You keep claiming Southern Italy is ready to break down ffs.

I mean If numbers keep surging while we are in lock down why will people bother to continue?

Were you? For Ireland? Didn’t see that. Anyway, Easter. Call it a TFK exclusive.

What? I’ve just told you, the surge hasn’t happened yet. It is expected to start to hit Easter weekend.

If people done obey lockdown then stricter measures are introduced. There are hefty on the spot fines in place in many countries across Europe, the same will happen in Ireland.

Open her up to fuck.

I think the surge is a byproduct of the delay in cases getting bad enough for ICU and the time it takes when you get to one to get out. I would trust the experts that it’ll be over the next week or so tbh.

What I posted on Denmark on their numbers on the other thread, and their close similarly to ours on all fronts, was that they are talking about phased reopenings after Easter. I don’t expect us to until April 19th but we should at least discuss what indicators and metrics we’d like to see to start some reopenings and what reopenings you’d make on a phased basis. That’s the discussion the Danes are having right now.

This is for the experts to discuss in fairness, I just put some of their thoughts there above. But I don’t agree with just saying that we should just sit back and not be proactive in considering phased reopenings.

Good debate lads, bar the standard virtue signaller response.

How many will die due to as the article suggests not seeking or not being offered medical treatment. I wouldn’t fancy a tumour growing for 6 months for lack of a scan etc. And the long term issues re mental health etc. not as easily counted as the nightly telethon like anticipation on death tolls but no less real. Is antibody testing a runner, allowing those with strong results straight back in to work and society? Isolate at risk people.

2 Likes

Play the ball please. You aren’t putting anything constructive forward there.

We all want to save lives (you don’t have a monopoly on that) but we cannot be locked up indefinitely, the cost of that would be far higher. Would you be satisfied with a lockdown for 12-18 months just so nobody pricks their toe?

All governments are considering phased reopenings. But it’s very early days yet and it will take some weeks before they have enough numbers to make an assessment on if they can begin relaxing. I highly doubt that will be as soon as April 19. End April/early May at best.

That’s an uninformed comment.

Ah stop. We couldn’t keep nursing homes safe from the fucking thing and you’ve lads shouting for shops & pubs to reopen and lockdown to stop.

Nobody fully understands this virus but again lads know better.

And you know better demanding that we stay locked up for months? What are you basing that on?

the suicide rates in Italy are going through the roof, two weeks ago it was all lads playing the decks and pianos on balcony’s, great craic for a day or two. now they have all retreated inside, killing themselves with depression. Lockdowns can’t go on, not in cities anyway

Where did I demand lockdown for months bro? Was it last night after 10pm??

The Danes are making that assessment right now and are talking about what they might reopen. They are putting forward Easter, I think that might be a bit too soon personally, but there we are. They have a remarkably similar profile as us so far on this, which is why I mentioned it.

The thing about the surge and the ICUs is that when things do kick up in a week or so, can our new capacity cope? And if by then the case number growth is falling to a level where you are confident that you have some ICU headspace for a few weeks, then why not start lifting some restrictions?

We actually have some evidence from the likes of Sweden on how more lax approaches to a lockdown are working when you have confidence in your health capacity.

is there less people dead than this 4 week period last year in Ireland?

Yes it absolutely will on a global scale.

1 Like

He doesn’t know how to play the ball.