Republic of Ireland WNT - We're all part of Vera and Tony O'Donoghues Army

It was done before than and she knew it.

1 Like

She pissed on her chips with the FAI long before the world cup. #JuhyKnew

She’d go up in my estimation for that.

Vera’s footballing philosophy would transpose itself well to the Ulster Football Championship; perhaps a sleeping giant like Crossmaglen or Errigal could take her on in a consultancy role in the next few weeks so she could earn her stripes and help knock Kilcoo and Glen off their perch, before taking Down to the promised land of an Ulster Football title next year

2 Likes

I’m not sure she’d ever understand the meaning behind “Up Down” flags.

they’re a team full of professional footballers playing in one of the strongest leagues - she sent them out like they had no business being there and had no interest in scoring goals

I make it that 6 of the squad play in teams in the top tier in England. They were in a strong group and competed well in all the games. The only game they were really defensive in was against Australia

I’d have played Katie McCabe further up the pitch personally but apart from that I don’t think she got much wrong

2 Likes

It’s nothing to do with results though, if she wasn’t hated by the players she’d have no issues

There’s nothing wrong with really defensive football either

Well I was replying to a comment about their performances and results

Hated seems strong but she seems to have lost the dressing room, that’s the end of the line for any manager.

Sorry,
Anyway it’s clearly not about results, the puke soccer would be generally welcomed but she’s not popular in the squad so she had to go

Guys can we keep the hate speech out of this please. Vera done the State some service; they know’t. No more of that.

1 Like

She definitely lost the best and most influential player in the squad in a very public way, whether the rest of the players feel that way is unknown

2 Likes

maybe I’m a misogynist, but it seems to me that there are more player power type managerial removals in female sports than there are in male sports. Countless GAA county team cases, and more often than not, they do not do better after the management is removed. Spain obviously the big case now, and whilst they had a point on their previous manager Quereda from some videos now being shown of his behaviour, but Vilda had worked through underage squads and been over the side since 2015 and now guided him to the World cup with a large portion of protesting players not there. They complained about poor results in the Euros and his coaching tactics, but without starting players from the Euros, the team won the world cup.

Have it now with Pauw, she has been on the back foot from day 1 with the row over the girl from Donegal and her father (and curiously, not heard much of her since), but she took a team ranked in the mid 30s up 10 spots and got them qualified for their first ever tournament. Players openly questioning her tactics on the pitch wouldnt be tolerated with most teams. I doubt many would agree with the tactics and seeing some of their games this year, there was very little ambition with them, but they were in a tough group and competed well. The step up in quality to have a top end goalscorer seemed to be their biggest deficiency.

4 Likes

It seems pretty obvious she lost the dressing room but I don’t think that reflects particularly well on the players. Katie McCabe is clearly driving it and McCabe doesn’t seem like a good egg.

Ireland were in an absolute cunt of a group with three very good teams and did about as well as could be realistically expected in the circumstances.

3 Likes

well the players obviously had more ambition than to get to a world cup and play for 0-0 and hope to nick one. That’s why she lost the dressing room. If you were a player looking on at 0-0 in a game against Nigeria you’d be questioning why there wasn’t attacking changes it didn’t matter if they lost - they were already out… that was just stubborn

Abandoning the game with Colombia was a sackable offence though

1 Like

Typically misogynistic post.

How so?

1 Like

Katie McCabe saw her opportunity to “do a Roy Keane on it” her antics in the Nigerian game were nothing about the Irish team and all about her ego.

4 Likes