Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Leaving the current crop aside, I’d consider Griffin and Gilligan better, but I’d describe neither as legends etc. Clare were like Galway in the period you mention, they won fuck all because their players just weren’t up to it

What were you trying tease out, im not fully clear on it to be honest ?

+1. Some well teased out points.

I think you underrate galway hurlers in comparison to clare hurlers in general. I dont know how you could put griffin ahead of hayes, griffin was effective for a short enough period, hayes is galways top scorer ever, has made most appearances and has three all stars. Gilligan was a better score getter.

I think you underrate galway hurlers in comparison to clare hurlers in general. I dont know how you could put griffin ahead of hayes, griffin was effective for a short enough period, hayes is galways top scorer ever, has made most appearances and has three all stars. Gilligan was a better score getter.

Ok,that’s down to opinion I guess, but as I said I’d put neither of the 3 in the legend category. Griffin could operate effectively anywhere in the forwards, I don’t think Hayes was effective outside of cf. his striking was poor , ESP on the run and he rarely used his weaker side instead relied on his pace. His last 3 years were woeful, all he ever seemed to do was give a backward or sideways hand pass

Could you give me these examples of where I favourably compared Clare over Galway players ? You’ve invented that in your own head

Ill have to watch out for them in future, i dont have them saved or anything. You analyse hayes’ faults well above. His striking is the most infuriating as a minor he was well able to put them over from midfield in croker. His willingness to handpass is an excusable fault, he and joe are nearly the only two willing to create things for others at times.

Here we go.

Griffin better than Hayes? Would you ever fuck off.

Pretty average goal tally for a poor striker of the ball alright. Would you ever fuck off for yourself. :rolleyes:

What is this average goal tally stat your on about ? You stupid hick

He was a distinctly average striker of the ball, you spastic.

Wahey. He surely kicked a lot of goals to the net so did he? :smiley:

If you think Damien Hayes was a good striker of the ball then you don’t understand hurling.

Look, if you have read through the posts you would see that KC was basically knocking the chap for his striking. He is Galway’s top scorer of goals in recent years, was a fine hurler, had pace & a bit of steel. I made the point that he was able to score goals despite this ‘’ poor striking ye speak of ‘’.
That okay with you?

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1071710, member: 1517”]Look, if you have read through the posts you would see that KC was basically knocking the chap for his striking. He is Galway’s top scorer of goals in recent years, was a fine hurler, had pace & a bit of steel. I made the point that he was able to score goals despite this ‘’ poor striking ye speak of ‘’.
That okay with you?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Please post with such clarity in future.

Good.

His striking for points was poor. His goal striking from memory wasn’t too hot either but he used to get into such great positions he didn’t need to be that fantastic.

Exactly.