Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Whatever about the manner, and a press conference is a pile of cock, he goes (if he does indeed go) holding the following

NHL
Leinster SHC
All Ireland HC
Kilkenny Club HC
Leinster Club HC
All Ireland Club HC

You could probably fuck the Walsh Cup in there if you really wanted seeing as they didnt partake this year. Not that it matters.

There won’t ever be a better time for a player to call it quits. He had some will to win, combined with a phenomenal greed for silverware and achievements. He was a winner, in a team of winners, who was looked up to by practically everyone on that team. He had their utmost respect unlike any other, and that counts for a huge amount.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 1112100, member: 1552”]A press conference ffs. He really is dragging the arse out of this retirement more than even O’Driscoll did. Everyone knew he was retiring months ago but he wanted all the attention that a stand alone announcement would bring - god forbid he’d have to go with the others. Could have easily announced it before Christmas and it wouldn’t have impinged on Ballyhale’s club campaign one bit.

[/QUOTE]

The press conference is OTT but you can hardly blame Shefflin for answering questions about his retirement which were constantly thrown at him by the media

I think he was using Shefflin to have a cut off O’Driscoll for some inane reason.

I get the point about the buzz when he got on the ball, he didn’t have the style of some of the others name checked. He was the best though, for such a long time. Walsh was a great, but JJ and Shefflin were a tier above. Upper echelon.

Just discussing this with a colleague and we both reckon Bernard Brogan would be the only other inter county player who would possibly* call a press conference to announce his retirement

• but probably still wouldn’t

Shefflin was a great hurler. An outstanding finisher and a quality link man as well. While not as flashy or eye catching as a DJ or Eoin Kelly he was a complete hurler and would be one of the six best forwards to play the game if you were picking them. Outstanding in all six positions too.

Still you could never really warm to him. Epitomises the Kilkenny side

[QUOTE=“myboyblue, post: 1112112, member: 180”]Whatever about the manner, and a press conference is a pile of cock, he goes (if he does indeed go) holding the following

NHL
Leinster SHC
All Ireland HC
Kilkenny Club HC
Leinster Club HC
All Ireland Club HC

You could probably fuck the Walsh Cup in there if you really wanted seeing as they didnt partake this year. Not that it matters.

There won’t ever be a better time for a player to call it quits. He had some will to win, combined with a phenomenal greed for silverware and achievements. He was a winner, in a team of winners, who was looked up to by practically everyone on that team. He had their utmost respect unlike any other, and that counts for a huge amount.[/QUOTE]

@myboyblue - biting your lip typing that?
“I don’t use the word “hero” very often, but you sir are the greatest hero that ever lived.”

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1112132, member: 2272”]@myboyblue - biting your lip typing that?
“I don’t use the word “hero” very often, but you sir are the greatest hero that ever lived.”[/QUOTE]

sounds like pirate speak…arrgh He had their utmost respect unlike any other, and that counts for a huge amount…arrgh…

when really the proven match winner in nearly every dressing room will have the same respect… players always look up to the guy who time and again gets the score when the team in general is struggling…as mickey harte described competitiveness - being at your best when your best is needed…Shefflin was a master of reading the game and running off the play until ball came to him in acres of space ready to score…he was the epitomy of the old coaches expression “hang loose”…great fookin player … and like any really good player a bit sneaky…

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1112132, member: 2272”]@myboyblue - biting your lip typing that?
“I don’t use the word “hero” very often, but you sir are the greatest hero that ever lived.”[/QUOTE]
Huh?

shefflingtonshire

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 1112100, member: 1552”]Great player in fairness, single handedly pulled the drawn final game against Galway out of the fire. Always thought Walsh and Delaney were better players though. When Walsh used to catch puck outs over forwards heads and send it 90 yards down the pitch it was always more psychologically damaging to the opposition. Delaney in particular never mouthed off and berated refs the way Shefflin always did either.

A fucking press conference though. That’s cuntish behaviour.[/QUOTE]
Just watched the second half of that Galway game. It’s a myth that he single-handedly got them a draw, he wasn’t even that good at all. He got the ball in his hand 5 times in play in the second half, doing two very good things, scored a point and gave a good handpass that resulted in a penalty. The three other times he got it in his hand, one time he won a good ball and then dropped it while soloing, another time he hit a bad wide and finally he dropped a ball into the goalies hand

You sad cunt, you just flicked on that match to score some points on TFK of a Tuesday afternoon?

Yes, and to score points in general as well because it’s a game that people always point to when they talk about how great he is

TMH, you’ve just mugged me off and clamped me all in one there. :oops:

Not watched that second half since the day in question but I thought he was influential at the time but I probably overestimated it.

To be fair he was a brilliant hurler. As has been alluded to there was never the same buzz of excitement when say DJ Carey or John Mullane got on the ball but he was mightily effective. Helped having so many great players around him obviously.

He’ll retire knowing that he never got the better of Skippy Ruth when he played on him at centre forward.

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1112053, member: 686”]What a cunt.

Gone are the glory days of getting a text on an Octobers evening asking you to not attend training.[/QUOTE]

In Limerick it is inferred that you have retired when you dont get a text to attend a meeting about the coming training schedule

@the man himself[/USER], I had the same impression as [USER=1552]@dodgy-keeper

@the man himself[/USER], I had the same impression as [USER=1552]@dodgy-keeper.

Could it be though that the couple of plays from Shefflin were the type of thing that lifted his team and changed momentum in the game? That’s certainly the impression I was left with and if say many thought the same and would be surprised if his contribution was as minimal as you contend.

[QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 1112180, member: 1533”]@the man himself[/USER], I had the same impression as [USER=1552]@dodgy-keeper.

Could it be though that the couple of plays from Shefflin were the type of thing that lifted his team and changed momentum in the game? That’s certainly the impression I was left with and if say many thought the same and would be surprised if his contribution was as minimal as you contend.[/QUOTE]
Happens the whole time in GAA. Impressions given by a few big scores or spectacular catches or clearances are far more important than facts or stats when it comes to judginghow a player played. Rightly or wrongly.

In one way, your right. But also, reducing it to plays can overlook the context. A big catch, tackle, score, winning a ball you shouldn’t, winning a free even, against the run of play when your team is on the back foot and everything is going wrong can lift a team and shift momentum in the game. The fact that it was Shefflin that did it, just after he moved out to centre forward (whether he decided to move out himself or it was a sideline direction) increased this perception.