Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

The begrudgers are out in force here. If a fellow with 10 All Irelands can’t call a press conference in a dingy pub in the arse end of Kilkenny then who in the GAA can. The KK haters here are always giving out about what a dour shower of cunts KK are who do nothing for the promotion of the game and then when one of them shows a bit of initiative and decides to go out with a bit of a fanfare and a bit of glitz by inviting the likes of Jackie Cahill and Barry Henriques to a bit of a blowout in Langton’s they’re off complaining again.

Tom Dempsey will be gutted on RTE radio one on Sunday. That’s “JJ”, “Tommy” and “King Henry” he has lost* in recent months.

He still has “Jackie” though.

*lost to retirement, not death.

When Davy Fitz eventually steps down for good he’ll probably announce it via a lavish banquet at Farmleigh.

So he will.

Yeah, Galway too.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 1112163, member: 1552”]

To be fair he was a brilliant hurler. As has been alluded to there was never the same buzz of excitement when say DJ Carey or John Mullane got on the ball but he was mightily effective. Helped having so many great players around him obviously.[/QUOTE]

Or Ciaran Carey or Joe Canning or Eoin Kelly or Lar Corbett or Dan Shanahan or Jamesie O’Connor or Tommy Walsh or Diarmuid O’Sullivan or even Setanta O’ bloody hAilipim.

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 1112163, member: 1552”]TMH, you’ve just mugged me off and clamped me all in one there. :oops:

Not watched that second half since the day in question but I thought he was influential at the time but I probably overestimated it.

To be fair he was a brilliant hurler. As has been alluded to there was never the same buzz of excitement when say DJ Carey or John Mullane got on the ball but he was mightily effective. Helped having so many great players around him obviously.[/QUOTE]
There was never a buzz about Henry because you always knew the cunt was going to score. End of story. There was no surprise or excitement, because he was perfect. Mullane was just as likely to fall over his own legs as he was to score. That was part of the buzz. You never knew what Mullane was going to do. You always knew what Henry was going to do. Fucking score.

Once I saw him do something inexplicable. In the 2007 league final against Waterford he drove a 21 free wide from in front of the posts. Waterford won by a point. In hindsight he was probably doing it on purpose to set us up for the anal gouging they gave us in 2008.

Obscene levels of begrudgery here.

These lads must be rotting in their own bile, Bandage.

[QUOTE=“glasagusban, post: 1112180, member: 1533”]@the man himself[/USER], I had the same impression as [USER=1552]@dodgy-keeper.

Could it be though that the couple of plays from Shefflin were the type of thing that lifted his team and changed momentum in the game? That’s certainly the impression I was left with and if say many thought the same and would be surprised if his contribution was as minimal as you contend.[/QUOTE]
The two good things I did see him do were very good to be fair, a great score and another great pass leading to the penalty but that was it. He also hit some good frees over tbf

This chap is an all time great GAA player. They should save their anger and withering comments for more deserving topics.

:clap:

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1112206, member: 9”]These chap is an all time great GAA player. They should save their anger and withering comments for more deserving topics.
[/QUOTE]
There are plenty of greats who have retired and didn’t feel the need to call a press conference mate.

It’s the height of arrogance and self-importance and doesn’t sit easy with me

[QUOTE=“thedancingbaby, post: 1112208, member: 48”]There are plenty of greats who have retired and didn’t feel the need to call a press conference mate.

It’s the height of arrogance and self-importance and doesn’t sit easy with me[/QUOTE]

Personal choice, mate. It’s hardly that big a deal. He’s had a brilliant career so there’s going to be media interest if it’s a retirement announcement as expected. Maybe he prefers to have one group press gathering rather than dealing with multiple individual interview requests.

Double post.

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1112210, member: 9”]Maybe he prefers to have one group press gathering rather than dealing with multiple individual interview requests.
[/QUOTE]
Yeah I’d say tomorrow will be the last we see or hear from him alright :rolleyes:

Backtrack.

Great player. Himself and the rest of that team will all be in wheel chairs in ten years time. Good luck and thanks.

Eat shit, fucker.

[QUOTE=“Bandage, post: 1112215, member: 9”]Eat shit, fucker.
[/QUOTE]
:eek: