Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

@Joe Player
Give us your thoughts on King Henry’s imminent retirement?

Is it true that over use of the phrase ‘I suppose’ can extend a players career by 3.5 years ? Have any studies been done on this?

I think it’s been proven that over use of the phrase ‘D’yu know like’ certainly shortens cork players careers

I was at his first ai final in thurles 1998 and his last in croker 2015.

He was a superb forward and an utterly consistent talisman for his team. We can hope that his career bookends a period of dominance and that new winners some to the fore.

So you didn’t watch the first half in which he was outstanding while all around him were floundering?
Galway pissed the chips in the second half. When they were roaring in the first, Henry was the one keeping us in it.

Loving the seethe levels on here.

Henry :clap:

DJ Carey on Off The Ball now.

His first words: “Well I suppose…”

Well he is a big deal

Sneak preview of Shefflin’s press conference:

“Ah, sure look it, time waits for no man.”
“Hurling is a young man’s game these days.”
“Ah, I wouldn’t like to pick out one All-Ireland as being better than the others, they were all special.”
“I had a lot of very tough opponents, 't’would be difficult to pick one out.”
“Kilkenny hurling is in very good hands.”
“No, no regrets.”
“I suppose the biggest regret would be the 2010 final.”
“I’m still hoping to play away with the club for a while yet.”

DJ Carey: “JJ, is the day of the super stud…sorrry, super sub, gone?”

Its difficult not to begrudge him because he was a graceless cunt. He also dished timber at will but was fond of lepping up and down in front of referees if an opponent had the gall to give him a dig.
His achievements speak for themselves and he was as influential a hurler to his team as you could design but he will be remembered in my house first and foremost as a nasty spiteful prick on the hurling field.

Prob his greatest achievement for me was having his eye gouged out by that Clare player in thurles and returning a week later to win man of the match with a brand new eyeball. What healing power.
Was it Gerry Quinn?

[QUOTE=“thedancingbaby, post: 1112208, member: 48”]There are plenty of greats who have retired and didn’t feel the need to call a press conference mate.

It’s the height of arrogance and self-importance and doesn’t sit easy with me[/QUOTE]
Nobody with 10 All Ireland winners medals has previously retired pal. We aren’t talking about Micky Muck or Paddy Stick here or some other GAA no mark. We are talking sporting royalty.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1112241, member: 183”]Sneak preview of Shefflin’s press conference:

“Ah, sure look it, time waits for no man.”
“Hurling is a young man’s game these days.”
“Ah, I wouldn’t like to pick out one All-Ireland as being better than the others, they were all special.”
“I had a lot of very tough opponents, 't’would be difficult to pick one out.”
“Kilkenny hurling is in very good hands.”
“No, no regrets.”
“I suppose the biggest regret would be the 2010 final.”
“I’m still hoping to play away with the club for a while yet.”[/QUOTE]

“I’d love to play on but the body was telling me no.”

“It’s a good time to go.”

" I’ve been very lucky to play with so many great players and win so much."

“I rang Brian and told him. It was a tough phone call but he understood my reasons.”

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 1112261, member: 1552”]“I’d love to play on but the body was telling me no.”

“I rang Brian and told him. It was a tough phone call but he understood my reasons.”[/QUOTE]
“Ah yeah, it was a very difficult decision. one of the hardest of my life, I suppose.”
“I suppose it’s nice to go out at the top.”
“Ah yeah, I suppose I will miss it.”
“Nobody will be shouting on the lads more than me.”

[QUOTE=“dodgy-keeper, post: 1112261, member: 1552”]“I’d love to play on but the body was telling me no.”

“I rang Brian and told him. It was a tough phone call but he understood my reasons.”[/QUOTE]
“He didnt try to talk me around, I didn’t expect him to I suppose”

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1112050, member: 183”]Whatever happened to players just not telling anybody in the media they were retiring, like the great Mick Lyons?

.[/QUOTE]

Or Christy Ring. Mind you Christy Ring didn’t believe in the concept of retiring.

Shefflin’s main influence in 2012 was more his leadership than anything, especially in last 10 minutes of first half when he was running around hitting a few quick frees which got Kilkenny back into the game. His striking, esp off his left, wasn’t the best that day towards iirc. It looked like his shoulder was half crocked.

His best assets were his leadership, ability to ghost into space, his vision, his accuracy and he nearly always made the right decision what to do with the ball. One of the few players who would see passes that you wouldn’t have seen were on from the stand.

DJ and Tommy were more exciting but Henry was the best.

:smiley:

I got serious lols from that.

Would love if no-one turned up to the press conference.

Brian Carthy will be in tears.

http://www.the42.ie/80s-hurling-quiz-2009618-Mar2015/?utm_source=twitter_self

8 out of 12 :frowning: