Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Conor used to call to my gran uncles place in the bog in newport. A sound chap.

He played quite a bit when he was younger and was handy enough. I don’t know how good Newport are at the minute.

1 Like

Looks like Woodlock is retiring too. Could be a few more by the sounds of it.

What age is he?

Ya thought he was young enough

Woodlock would be busy with work, family business & a newborn recently. Nothing against the chap & best of luck to him in retirement if rumours are true, but he won’t be a massive loss IMO.

would be very surprised if he doesn’t play club rugby with Newport soon.
Was a very good out half by all accounts. Few AIL teams had looked at him years back.

I was thinking the same.

Shane McGrath going also.

Thought as much. Heard a few names last weekend when I was at home.

Encouraging ruthless streak to start shown by Mr Ryan

going off their own back. Mahony and McGrath informed management Thursday. Had planned for a while that if one retired, the other would.

Thqt’s odd behaviour for inter county hurlers. You’d have thought they’d have been single minded enough to make up their own minds

They’re good friends who’ve travelled up and down to Thurles together for years. I think they both (at 31 and with ten years service behind them) felt time was up anyway

Best of luck to them. Two good hurlers

Woodlock gone now

http://tipperary.gaa.ie/james-woodlock-retires-from-inter-county-hurling/

In reality, it’s looking like Michael Ryan’s tenure is going to be a painful rebuilding process. In fairness the youth coming through are going to find it difficult but we have to start from somewhere. It’s vital that Brendan Maher, Paudie Maher & Seamie Callinan really drive the setup on now from a leadership perspective.

I think it’s vital that Mickey Cahill comes back to full fitness too. He’s a leader on the field.

I have a lot more time than most for Woodlock so am a bit disappointed to see him go. Think he still offered something that others don’t

1 Like