Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

I agree. He had his faults but was always effective enough

His main strength was his athleticism but his hurling ability & decision making was his main weakness. As honest a chap as there is but not a game winner ability wise.

Massive loss for Tipp his workrate in midfield was excellent for them last few years, very weak around the middle now.

Absolutely. It was noticeable the dominance other teams had over tipp in midfield when he wasn’t there in recent years. Not a silky hurler but the kind of workhorse needed to balance some teams.

Don’t be talking rubbish. The chap couldn’t hit the ball out of his way.

1 Like

Neither can James Ryan but he’s been very important for limerick for a few years.

@Fagan_ODowd knows the score.

James Ryan is kack too, a sham of a hurler.

1 Like

Shane McGrath gone this morning.

Maybe one or two more to go too.

Surely lar will retire again? Did he ever catch that lad who robbed him? He said he’d go to the ends of the earth to find him. Tipp training would get in the way of that in fairness.

I’d say he got as far as Tipp town and thought he was there

13 Likes

Best of luck to him, a gent.

Lar has retired now.

Talk is that things aren’t going too well in Tipp. Michael Ryan is struggling to fill his management team from what I hear

They are in place already. Mick Ryan (Manager) Declan Fanning (Coach) John Madden (Selector)
Same fitness and s&c lads.

Donal O Grady wasn’t named here was he? Joke.

Lar was a marvelously gifted hurler, who was also an enigma. There really was no middle ground with him. He could produce unbelievable moments of skill in some games while in other games just disappear into thin air. I suppose we got the best out of him between 08 and 11 but in my opinion he never came close to fulfilling his potential. His head was easily turned for money and the media. He let down his club on too many occasions. His workrate in games and attitude to training was deplorable. I doubt Cody would have put up with his antics.

That being said I can easily say he was the best finisher of goal chances I ever saw. If he was bearing down on goal you were nearly celebrating before the ball hit the net.

3 Likes

If that’s the Limerick hurler you’re referring to, you’re probably looking for some sort of National Lottery thread.

??? Coach?

He has no experience as a coach, has he?

Lar wasn’t like other hurlers really. A bit of an odd chap I’ve been told but he was pure genius at times. The way he’d read breaks from a mile off and break onto them at pace was something that always stood out to me

Lar could be special in that sense alright but his pace was the key.

As regards his IC career before his highlights from 2008 - 2011 his mind & attitude stunk to high heaven. At times he went into hiding, its common knowledge he royally fucked his club around on numerous occasions.

When he was good he was awesome, but thereafter he was a passenger too often. A good Tipperary hurler but nowhere near the League of a Declan Ryan, Eoin Kelly or Tommy Dunne.

Best of luck to him.

2 Likes