Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Not the most naturally gifted player, but worked his hole off to stay in the mix and always did a job when asked, and whatever was asked of him, I admire him for that anyway. 5 (6) All Ireland’s isn’t a bad haul either

His backflip in the 2011 final was a great moment

1 Like

Mark Poland

An artist. Far from a starving one, but an artist. A beautiful kicker of a ball from ground or hand. St Mary’s have given some beautifully graceful kickers to the game.

1 Like

Making way for the next Maurice Fitz

I always liked Sheahan as a player and I could have watched him kick frees all day long. A class act

Some kick of a ball

https://youtu.be/H5WaNh0a3UI

That first kick was incredible in that the guy was so close to him, too close, and yet he still got the elevation almost instantly, and effortlessly.

And another ten yards of distance in it at least

Sheahan only had the kick from the ground. He was stone cold useless with ball in his hand.

4 Likes

https://youtu.be/iOCM8_4gpgs?t=1m32s

That’s an exception you won’t find many more instances of anything coming off for him over a long career in a Kerry jersey that’s not good enough. Donnacha Walsh has more football than him almost

Two lovely clips here from Sheehan, the freekick at 1.30 is just pulling the piss @Julio_Geordio

https://youtu.be/u0vqjeGjUbQ?t=1m18s

His lack of mobility and Kerry carrying him cost them big time. A pure luxury who really came from a different era.

He would have been a FOTY in 70/80/90’s

5 Likes

I’d agree with some of that. I don’t think you ever saw the best of him for Kerry because he was never used properly. IMO he needed to be in a playmaker role at CF, he’d great passing range and vision but not the legs. I think he would have excelled in a team with lesser forwards where they looked to put the ball through his hands rather say the Gooch, Donaghy or Declan O’Sullivan, but O’Sullivan was a fantastic CF when both were at their peak so it’s hard to argue with that either.
The way the game has gone you couldn’t play him midfield or half forward, so he ended up in the corner which he didn’t have the speed for either, so then they moved him back out the field again and back in etc. Never really found a role for him.
One of the finest dead ball exponents ever though, second only to his mentor Maurice Fitz from ground balls IMO. Nearly worth carrying for that alone, in all but games against the very top teams it was worth it, but as you say he was targeted by the Dubs a few times as a weak link.

I think he played in goal for Kerry at underage .

1 Like

Played in goal in the under under 21 final when Waterford shocked them years ago.

He did. Kerry minor u21 and Colaiste na Sceilge.

It was mooted once at Kerry selector level to try him there again in recent years. Its denied now of course, but it was floated.

The ol Barthez’s

Was just going to say the same. His boot wouldn’t have been a bad weapon in a goalkeepers arsenal and that’s 95% of being a goalie these days really.

The game’s changing, Cluxton changed it and it continues to evolve. A goalie will kick a score from play in the Championship shortly. My bet is on Graham Brody.

I’d have put Sheehan in goals, if he were willing.

1 Like