Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Surely Kerry have moved ahead in that regard.

2 Likes

Donegal are very dependent on Murphy and Ryan McHugh at the moment. Jamie Brennan was very disappointing outside Ulster

I think they have McBrearty as well but with Murphy out the pitch he is their only real inside forward.

He does suffer from consistently issues though.

They need the likes of Langan, O’Donnell and Gallen to kick on next year.

Looks like Ciaran Gillespie will never come back at intercounty level now which is a massive blow for Donegal as he’s s player with so much potential.

I’m still not convinced by Kerry. The first drawn game was tilted in their favour with the sending off and they were hanging on for dear life. The 2nd day was facile enough for Dublin. A full strength Donegal team would beat a full strength Kerry one in my opinion. Donegals form where they should have beaten Kerry and particularly against Tyrone was brilliant at times.

1 Like

McBrearty looked off I this year. He only returned during the Championship from an ACL injury. With a full league campaign this year, he could be a lot sharper for next year.

1 Like

Ah shtap.

That kerry match highlighted how reliant donegal or on mchugh and Murphy… Kerry have come on a lot since then … Kerry will be team to take down dubs. And probably next year.

Ban Gallagher is a huge player for them too and missed the Kerry game.

1 Like

That’s very harsh on a young kerry team in my opinion.

I’d agree kerry pre super 8s and the team by the final we’re a different animal. Their young players will learn hugely from this season in my opinion. If Clifford had his shootings boots on the first day they’d have had the dubs beaten. All ifs and buts obviously. The one worry I’d have for kerry is Moran. Probably only a year or two left in him. Probably not a 70 minute man either. He’s huge for them.

1 Like

They have some very gifted footballers but I just think they are lacking in defense. They were very well protected in the final over 2 games especially when you think back to the munster final earlier in the summer when Cork sliced them open at will. This meant that their scoring suffered and relied heavily on the boot of Sean O Shea from frees. I think David Moran is 32 now and nearing the end. He has had his injuries and a lot of what Kerry do well comes from him in terms of ball winning and distribution. Come to think of it he is probably their most important player. From what I saw of Kerry over the 2 games I would not fancy their chances of beating Dublin any time soon and thats why I was looking at next alternative. Donegal were porous at times too this year but I think they have more natural defenders and potentially a stronger bench than Kerry. Bear in mind I am only looking at 2020 and Kerry players probably have a higher ceiling for improvement long term.

2 Likes

Eoghan O’Gara has retired. No surprise. Had a cracking year in 2010 but good physical training fodder for the last while.

1 Like

A hopeless footballer.

4 Likes

You would think with the mark coming in he might have seen a bit more of a role for himself. A terribly limited footballer with a huge haul of medals.

1 Like

Tis fellas like him that make a panel

2 Likes

Kieran Cunningham is some wanker

7 Likes

O Gara did improve himself as a footballer over the years. His shooting went from being absolutely fucking terrible to below average over his first few years on the panel. His finest moment was probably his clinching goal v Tyrone in 2010. It was our first win over a proper contender in about 15 years. We were blessed that day. Tyrone missed a pile, some lad on the hill had a whistle which cost Tyrone a goal and O Gara’s goal (which he nearly broke the net with) came from a rebound off an upright. If we had of lost that day Pat Gilroy was finished as Meath had put 5 goals past us a few weeks previously. Sliding Doors moment.

Muted him on twitter a couple of years ago. He’s one of these busy lads who tries to involve himself in a multitude of conversations. He was constantly appearing all over my timeline with his inane observations, “quirky” takes and attempted quips.