Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

He’s still on twitter now but as far as I’m aware he doesn’t respond to anybody only other journalists.

Like @Sidney

He surprisingly followed me on Twitter even though I’d muted him as well.

Nope he’s a smug enough arse hole. I notice more and more just how much sports journalists value their opinions. I doubt he’d debate with the great unwashed.

1 Like

Tyrone hit 17 wides that day

What goes around comes around

Dublin had conceded an identical goal against Kerry in the quarter-final in 2004 which decided the match

By the time of the 2011 quarter-final against Tyrone things had moved on in a big way, Dublin ran them ragged, that was the first taste of the sort of football Dublin would play under Jim Gavin

My favourite O’Gara match was him hitting about 1-7 against Leix in the league down in Portleix in March 2012

For that he will always have a special place in my heart*

*He does not have a special place in my heart

1 Like

A journalist thinking highly of their own opinion, that’s a turn up for the books

Well to be fair I’m younger than most and don’t really have any interests besides sports.

He nearly missed hat goal against tyrone in 2010. looked like he sliced it in to the top corner :joy:

Soup with spuds? :nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face:

Proper roaster ating

Normally it is around now that county panels would be assembled for next year. Can we assume that the likes of McGlynn, O Gara and Barry have just been told that they are not part of the plan and their managers are giving them some grace.

Yes.

Dessie Mone and Vinnie Corey.

The end of a great era for Monaghan. Great players. Mansey must be thinking about how long he will stay now, being a fellow Clontibret man.

3 Likes

Could of done with someone proofreading it, bit of McGregor thrown in there as well.
Good player though to be fair nonetheless.

A right mad cunt

Indeed he was.

As news filtered through last night about a certain high profile player been axed from the Wexford football squad I couldn’t help but have a sick feeling in my stomach. This would have been a guy that I played beside for many a year, a through warrior who gave a lot in good and bad times. Someone who was willing to go back and fight the cause again and help a young squad, a leader with lots of experience to share. But suddenly you’re just told you’re not wanted anymore and you’re thrown on the scrap heap like a piece of old metal.
I’m sure the management have their reasons and I respect them as I’m sure the player does, and we move on, I’m not wanting to make this about him or me, but it got me thinking even about my own situation.
I played for Wexford for 12 years, loved every second of it, those were my proudest days lining out in the purple and gold.
I picked up a serious knee injury in my first club game after the 2017 inter county season ended after Monaghan knocked us out of the qualifiers. And that was it, my inter county career was over, no phone calls to see how my rehab was going, no nothing. I worked hard to get back and got back on the field 7 months later and even though I knew my time was getting short as an inter county player you still would like to test yourself to see could you make it back to the high level that inter county demands. But you’re never considered again, it’s all over. No thanks, no well dones, no nothing. You’re just forgotten about.
It’s great for the high profile players who are lucky to be born in the big county’s. They exit with their All Ireland medals, their All Stars, their profiles bigger than ever. Don’t get me wrong, I understand that these guys work harder than anyone to be the best they can be but they exit with a statement from their county boards, plaudits from the whole country, best wishes and thanks from the GPA, and montages in all the papers and probably a special piece on the next Sunday game!!
But what about the poor lad from Wexford, or Waterford, or Wicklow etc…these guys give just as much, but just ain’t as fortunate to be born where they are.
You spend 10+years in the bubble, training, playing, caught up in this thing you live and die for, you love it, you adore it, you bleed it and then suddenly you’re told you’re not wanted anymore, see you later.
You might get a couple of texts from your close friends but that’s it.
I know every player has a shelf life and I totally understand that but in an age where we constantly speak about looking after each other, and I don’t like using the mental health card because I feel some people do looking for sympathy but maybe more should be done about that in that sense from the GAA.
I’m sure a lot of people can adapt to the sudden change but I’m sure a lot of people can’t also.
As I’ve said, you’re in the big bubble, caught up the euphoria of playing and representing your county and you feel on top of the world, through the highs and lows of sport and then suddenly your told you’re not wanted anymore. No thanks, no well done, no nothing. I think not only as players they deserve more but as people they deserve more.
Maybe I’m way off the mark on this but there’s more to the GAA than the high profile players who light up our TVs in August and September, and these players should be looked after a little better and treated with a little bit more respect and be appreciated for all they done. Sometimes a little bit of appreciation can go along way.

FFS

Ah don’t be giving him any more oxygen.

The Facebook comments were hilarious.