Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

I’ll happily hold my hands up. As long as he’s not coaching goalies to lep around goalposts screaming wide wide every time a ball goes over the bar.

5 Likes
1 Like

A very ordinary player.

2 Likes

Young though, 28/29?

Wow, bit of a shock.

Slow and poor in the air. I’d say Cahill marked his card.

2 Likes

The Mount Sion is coming out in you now.

That’s a fair assessment. Very good club player and he mostly did a solid enough job for Waterford despite his limitations.

I’m fairly sure he is working in Dublin. That would take its toll. A fairly solid dependable player with no great frills who fitted into Dereks sysyem. He was cleaned in the 17 final when Galway started Canning out on him.

Is Barry Coughlan unretired?

Mahony is teaching in ard scoil ris on Griffith ave. He does more than his share of coaching there. Very popular as a teacher and a coach from what I have heaf

2 Likes

He was also the manager of the Ballygunner U19s that won a county title this year too.
By all accounts a sound lad.
Sorry to see him go. He still had a bit to offer.

1 Like

Great to see him focusing on his more illustrious club career.

A very solid player for Waterford and an outstanding club player. He recovered very well in the 2017 all Ireland after the first 10 minutes.

The inter county game is a dead duck the way it’s gone now.

Fair fucks for that.

Hugely overrated.

By whom? I don’t ever remember any hype or talk about him. A very solid Inter county player. Don’t think anyone ever made him out to be more than that.

He lacked pace in summer for Inter County hurling. Even at minor and under 21 he didn’t stand out a lot.

He has always been built for winter hurling. As good a Harty Cup centre back as there has been in the last 20 years, Fitzgibbon winner in UCC and probably the best player in the Munster club over last 10 years too.

I don’t think I remember him doing anything of note in intercounty hurling. That’s not necessarily a criticism, just a solid enough player

He will probably be best remembered at inter county for the ‘over hand’ hand pass which was a great way for him to get out of trouble when he used get bottled up.

Cavan will do well to field this year at this rate

Did he actually commission someone to design that graphic?

Deary me.

1 Like